5. Settling disputes

You can often sort out disputes with your landlord without going to court:

  1. First, speak to your landlord about your concerns.

  2. If this doesn’t work, write a formal letter setting out the problem.

  3. Use a mediation service, which is usually cheaper and quicker than going to court.

  4. As a last resort, you can take your landlord to court.

Deposit disputes

If you can’t get your deposit back, and your landlord protected it in a tenancy deposit protection scheme, contact the scheme they used.

Rent disputes

If you’re a private tenant and think your rent is too high, you might be able to appeal to the Rent Assessment Committee.

Going to court

If you or your landlord takes legal action, the case may go to a small claims court. Small claims are cases worth less than £5,000, or £1,000 if the case is about repairs to a property.

The courts provide a free mediation service for small claims cases, which can take place over the phone.

Free advice for disputes

You can get free advice about disputes or housing problems from Citizens Advice or Shelter.

A solicitor can also help you, but they might charge a fee.

If you have to go to court, you can get advice on the day of the hearing from the housing duty desk at the court.

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.