Register a lasting power of attorney

When you’ve made your lasting power of attorney (LPA), you need to register it with the Office of the Public Guardian (OPG).

It takes up to 20 weeks to register an LPA if there are no mistakes in the application.

You can apply to register your LPA yourself if you’re able to make your own decisions.

Your attorney can also register it for you. You’ll be told if they do and you can object to the registration.

Notify people

Before you register, send a form to notify people (LP3) to all the ‘people to notify’ (also called ‘people to be told’) you listed in the LPA.

They’ll have 3 weeks to raise any concerns with OPG.

If you’re using the online service to make an LPA, it will create and fill in the LP3 forms for you.

How to register

Apply to register as soon as you’ve sent forms to notify people.

To register, you need to sign your completed LPA form and send it to OPG.

If you create your LPA form using the online service, you will need to print it out to do this.

Office of the Public Guardian
PO Box 16185
B2 2WH

The address is also on the form. Make sure you include the original LPA form and the fee.

You can send a certified copy if you do not have the original form. Write a covering letter to explain why you do not have the original.

If you made your LPA with an older paper form

You can register by filling in form LP2 if you made your LPA:

  • on forms LPA114 or LPA117 before 1 January 2016
  • on forms LP PA or LP PW before 1 April 2011

Otherwise you’ll need to make a new LPA.

How much it costs

It costs £82 to register each LPA unless you get a reduction or exemption.

This means it costs £164 to register both a property and financial affairs LPA and a health and welfare LPA.

You can pay by:

  • credit or debit card
  • cheque

Make your cheque payable to ‘Office of the Public Guardian’ and write your name on the back. Send it to OPG with your forms.

If you make a mistake on your form

Depending on the type of mistake, OPG may let you correct it and apply again within 3 months for £41.

Get a reduction or exemption

You can apply for a reduction if you earn less than £12,000. You might also be able to apply for an exemption if you’re on certain benefits, such as Income Support.

Download and fill in the application form. The form has more information about eligibility.