Change your lasting power of attorney

You can ask the Office of the Public Guardian (OPG) to change your lasting power of attorney (LPA) if it’s been registered and you still have mental capacity to make decisions.

If you want to remove one of your attorneys

You will need to send OPG a written statement called a ‘partial deed of revocation’.

If you want to add another attorney you need to end your LPA and make a new one.

Use the following wording. Replace the words in the square brackets with the relevant details.

Partial deed of revocation

“This partial deed of revocation is made by [donor’s name] of [donor’s address].

1: I granted a lasting power of attorney for property and financial affairs/health and welfare [delete as appropriate] on [date donor signed the lasting power of attorney] appointing [name of first attorney] of [address of first attorney] and [name of second attorney] of [address of second attorney] to act as my attorney(s).

2: I hereby revoke [attorney’s name that you are revoking] ONLY from the lasting power of attorney and the authority granted to him/her.

Signed and delivered as a deed [donor’s signature]
Date signed [date]
Witnessed by [signature of witness]
Full name of witness [name of witness]
Address of witness [address of witness]”

Where to send a partial deed of revocation

Send the partial deed of revocation to the Office of the Public Guardian (OPG) with the original LPA document. You must also tell your attorney or attorneys that you’re ending your LPA.

Office of the Public Guardian
PO Box 16185
B2 2WH

If your attorney’s details change

You must write to OPG if one of your attorneys has changed their:

  • name - by marriage or deed poll
  • address

You need to provide supporting documents, such as the original marriage certificate, with their new name and address.

Do not make changes to your LPA document itself, as it might become invalid. You must contact OPG to make changes to your LPA.

If one of your attorneys dies

You must tell OPG and send them:

  • a copy of their death certificate
  • the original LPA
  • all certified copies of the LPA
  • a return address where your documents can be sent back to

Office of the Public Guardian
Telephone: 0300 456 0300
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, 9.30am to 5pm
Wednesday, 10am to 5pm
Find out about call charges

Office of the Public Guardian
PO Box 16185
B2 2WH