3. Register for HMRC online services
You get a login for HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) online services when you register for tax online.
You register when you tell HMRC that you:
- want a personal tax account
- are an individual who needs to send a Self Assessment tax return (for example to report rental, investment or self-employment income)
- have set up a limited company, or other organisation that needs to pay Corporation Tax
You also register when you tell HMRC that your business needs to:
- operate PAYE because you’ve started to employ people
- charge VAT because your taxable turnover is over £85,000
Registering for other taxes
You can browse for other HMRC taxes and services.
If you currently send paper tax returns
You can register to file your returns online instead of sending paper forms.
If you’re a tax agent or adviser, you can use HMRC online services on behalf of your clients.