Set up an account for HMRC online services
You’ll need to set up a Government Gateway account in order to access HMRC’s online services.
There are 3 types of account:
- individual accounts
- organisation accounts
- accounts for agents
You can, for example:
- set up a personal tax account to check things like your Income Tax estimate and tax code, update your personal details and claim a tax refund if one’s due
- register for Self Assessment if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return to report rental or investment income
You can use the same Government Gateway sign in details to access both accounts. For example, if you set up a personal tax account you can then add Self Assessment to that account.
These include accounts for:
- businesses, such as limited companies, partnerships and sole traders (business tax accounts)
- trusts that need to be registered
Business tax accounts
Once you’ve set up your business tax account, you can use it to for example:
- register for Self Assessment if you’re self-employed
- register for VAT if your taxable turnover is over £85,000
- set up PAYE because you’ve started to employ people
- register for Corporation Tax if you’ve set up a limited company or other organisation that needs to pay this tax
You can add other services to the account.
Setting up or adding other online services
You can browse for other HMRC taxes and services, including the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS), Pension Schemes Online and Stamp Taxes.
If you’re an agent
You can use HMRC online services on behalf of your clients if you’re a tax agent or adviser.