1. Driving licence requirements

If you pass a regular car driving test (category B) you’ll get entitlement to drive the following specialist vehicles:

  • agricultural tractors (category F)
  • mowing machines or pedestrian-controlled vehicles (category K)

Otherwise you’ll need the correct licence to drive a tractor or specialist vehicle on the road. To do this you’ll first need to get the right provisional driving licence entitlement and then pass a tractor or specialist vehicle driving test to get your full licence.

You don’t need a licence to drive a tractor or specialist vehicle off the public road but there are age limits.

You also don’t need a licence to operate pedestrian-controlled mowing machines, but you must be at least 16.

You don’t need a driving licence for electric bikes, mobility scooters or powered wheelchairs. You do need a driving licence to drive quad bikes on the road.

Road rollers and tracked vehicles

You’ll need to hold a full category B car licence showing provisional entitlement for categories G and H before you can drive:

  • road rollers (category G)
  • tracked vehicles (category H)

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.