Driving licence requirements

If you pass a regular car driving test (category B) you’ll get entitlement to drive:

  • agricultural tractors (category F)
  • mowing machines or pedestrian-controlled vehicles (category K)

For all other categories you need the correct full licence to drive the tractor or special vehicle on the road.

To get this you first need to get the right provisional driving licence entitlement and then pass a tractor or specialist vehicle driving test.


You do not need a licence to drive or operate:

You do need a driving licence to drive quad bikes on the road.

Road rollers and tracked vehicles

You need a full category B car licence with provisional entitlement for categories G and H to drive:

  • road rollers (category G)
  • tracked vehicles (category H)

Find out how to add higher categories to your driving licence.