Driving licence requirements
If you pass a regular car driving test (category B) you’ll get entitlement to drive:
- agricultural tractors (category F)
- mowing machines or pedestrian-controlled vehicles (category K)
For all other categories you need the correct full licence to drive the tractor or special vehicle on the road.
To get this you first need to get the right provisional driving licence entitlement and then pass a tractor or specialist vehicle driving test.
You don’t need a licence to drive or operate:
- a tractor or specialist vehicle off the public road (there are age limits)
- pedestrian-controlled mowing machines (you must be at least 16)
- electric bikes
- mobility scooters or powered wheelchairs
You do need a driving licence to drive quad bikes on the road.
Road rollers and tracked vehicles
You need a full category B car licence with provisional entitlement for categories G and H to drive:
- road rollers (category G)
- tracked vehicles (category H)
Find out how to add higher categories to your driving licence.