Income Support

Report a change of circumstances

You need to report changes to your circumstances so you keep getting the right amount of Income Support.

Your claim might be stopped or reduced if you do not report a change straight away.

A change of circumstance can include:

  • starting or stopping work, education, training or an apprenticeship
  • moving house
  • people moving into or out of the place you live (for example your partner or a child)
  • changing your name
  • changes to the benefits you or anyone else in your house gets
  • changes to other money you get (for example student loans or grants, sick pay or money you get from a charity)
  • changes to your pension, savings, investments or property
  • going into hospital or a care home or sheltered accommodation
  • going abroad for any length of time

Call Jobcentre Plus if you’re not sure whether you need to report a change.

You may be prosecuted or have to pay a £50 penalty if you give wrong or incomplete information, or do not report changes straight away.

How to report

You can report a change of circumstances by:

  • calling the Jobcentre Plus helpline for existing benefit claims
  • writing to the Jobcentre Plus office that pays your Income Support - the address is on the letters you get about your Income Support

Jobcentre Plus - existing benefit claims
Telephone: 0800 169 0310
Textphone: 0800 169 0314
Welsh Language: 0800 328 1744
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Find out about call charges

If you’ve been paid too much

If you do not report a change straight away or give wrong or incomplete information, you might be paid too much. If you are, you might have to pay some of the money back.