Appeal from within the UK

You can only appeal to the tribunal if you have the legal right to appeal - you’ll usually be told if you do in your decision letter.

Talk to a solicitor or an immigration adviser if you’re not sure.

Read the guide on representing yourself if you’re not going to have a legal representative.

Your decision letter will usually tell you if you can apply for an administrative review if you do not have the right to appeal.

The administrative review process is different if you applied for the EU Settlement Scheme, a Frontier Worker permit, or an S2 Healthcare Visitor visa.

How to appeal

How you appeal depends on whether you’re applying for yourself or if you’re a legal professional appealing on behalf of a client.

If you’re a solicitor or an immigration adviser

For most cases, you must appeal online using the MyHMCTS service. You’ll need to create an account first if you do not have one.

You must only appeal using a paper form if your client is in detention or has been refused settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme.

If you’re appealing for yourself without a solicitor or immigration adviser

You have 14 days to appeal from the date the decision was sent.

If you apply after the deadline, you must explain why - the tribunal will decide if it can still hear your appeal.

You can appeal later if your administrative review was unsuccessful for an EU Settlement Scheme, frontier worker or S2 healthcare visitor application. Your administrative review decision will tell you how to appeal.

Apply online if you can - online appeals are quicker than post or fax appeals.

Appeal an immigration or asylum decision online

If you’re appealing for yourself, use the online service to:

  • submit an appeal
  • add documents in support of your application
  • ask for a hearing
  • get a decision on your appeal

You’ll need to create an account. You’ll also need:

  • your Home Office reference number - you can find this on your decision letter
  • any documents that will support your application
  • an email address or mobile phone number

Start now

If you cannot use this service

You can:

If you’re appealing a decision where you’ve been detained in an immigration detention centre and your decision letter was sent by the Home Office, apply by post or fax with form IAFT-DIA.

There’s a different way to appeal if you made your application before 6 April 2015.

Ask for an oral hearing

You can ask during your appeal application for a decision to be made either:

  • just on the information in your appeal application and any documents supplied to the tribunal
  • at a hearing that you and your representative can attend

The tribunal can decide to have a hearing even if you do not ask for one. You’ll be told if this is the case and invited to attend.

If the tribunal does not hold a hearing, a judge will decide your case based on your appeal form and the documents.

Hearings are carried out in public. You can ask for it to be held in private or to attend by video link, but you must have a reason, for example a public hearing would put you in danger.

You can ask for a male or female judge if you think there are issues in your appeal that make it appropriate. The tribunal will decide if it can do this.

Special requirements

Contact the Customer Enquiry Unit before your hearing if you need any special help, for example you need wheelchair access.

Customer Enquiry Unit
Telephone: 0300 123 1711
Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm
Find out about call charges


It costs:

  • £80 without a hearing
  • £140 with a hearing

You may not have to pay if you:

  • get asylum support
  • get legal aid
  • get services from your local council and you’re under 18

You can also get help with court fees if any of the following apply:

  • you have little or no savings
  • you’re on certain benefits
  • you have a low income

Read the tribunal fees guidance for more information.

Contact the tribunal if you’re unsure if you have to pay a fee.

First-tier Tribunal (Immigration and Asylum Chamber)
Telephone: 0300 123 1711
Find out about call charges

How to pay

You can pay your fee with a credit or debit card when you make your appeal online or by including your details on your appeal form.

If you’ve already made your appeal you can also pay your fee online.

If your EU Settlement Scheme, frontier worker or S2 healthcare visitor application is unsuccessful

If you have new evidence to submit, you can:

It’s free to apply.

Or you can ask the Home Office for an administrative review. This costs £80. You’ll usually get a decision within 28 days. Your decision letter will tell you if you can apply.

You can appeal to the First-tier Tribunal (Immigration and Asylum Chamber). This costs £80 without a hearing and £140 with a hearing.

You can only appeal a decision if you made your application after:

  • 11pm on 31 January 2020, for the EU Settlement Scheme
  • 10 December 2020, for a Frontier Worker permit
  • 11pm on 31 December 2020, for a S2 Healthcare Visitor visa