Appeal from outside the UK

You can only appeal to the tribunal if you have the legal right to appeal - you’ll usually be told if you do in your decision letter.

If you’ve been refused a tier 1, 2, 4 or 5 visa you may be able to ask for the decision to be reviewed at an administrative review - your refusal letter will tell you if you can.

Talk to a solicitor or a immigration adviser if you’re unsure whether you can appeal.

Read the guide on representing yourself if you’re not going to have a legal representative.

How to appeal

You have 28 days to appeal after you get your decision. If you have to leave the country before you’re allowed to appeal, you have 28 days to appeal once you’ve left the country.

If you apply after the deadline, you must explain why - the tribunal will decide if it can still hear your appeal.

Apply online if you can - online appeals are quicker than post or fax appeals.

What you’re appealing How you can apply
A decision to refuse a human rights claim for entry clearance Online or by post or fax with form IAFT-6
A human rights or protection refusal (where you can only apply after you’ve left the country) Online or by post or fax with form IAFT-7
A decision by the Home Office to deport you as a European Economic Area (EEA) National Online or by post or fax with form IAFT-5
Your application for an EEA family permit as a family member of an EEA national was refused by the Home Office under the EEA Regulations Online or by post or fax with form IAFT-6
Certain decisions about applications submitted before 6 April 2015 Online or by post or fax with the relevant form

If you’re appealing by post or fax, download and fill in the relevant form. Send or fax it with copies of the documents that support your appeal to the address on the form.

Ask for an oral hearing

You can ask on your appeal form for a decision to be made either:

  • just on the information in your appeal form and any documents supplied to the tribunal
  • at a hearing that your representatives can attend

The tribunal can decide to have a hearing even if you do not ask for one. You’ll be told if this is the case.

If the tribunal does not hold a hearing, a judge will decide your case based on your appeal form and documents.

Hearings are carried out in public. You can ask for it to be held in private or to attend by video link, but you must have a reason, for example a public hearing would put you in danger.

You can ask for a male or female judge if you think there are issues in your appeal that make it appropriate. The tribunal will decide if it can do this.

Special requirements

Contact the Customer Enquiry Unit before your hearing if any special help is needed, for example someone attending on your behalf needs wheelchair access.

Customer Enquiry Unit
Telephone: +44 (0)300 123 1711
Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm
Find out about call charges


It costs:

  • £80 without a hearing
  • £140 with a hearing

You may not have to pay if you get legal aid.

Read the tribunal fees guidance for more information.

Contact the tribunal if you’re not sure if you have to pay a fee.

First-tier Tribunal (Immigration and Asylum Chamber)
Telephone: +44 (0)300 123 1711
Find out about call charges

How to pay

You can pay your fee with a credit or debit card when you make your appeal online or by including your details on your appeal form.

If you’ve already made your appeal you can also pay your fee online.