VOA - Information for Local Authorities

Assisting Local Authorities to access information and services from Valuation Office Agency (VOA).

Our partnership

Our Local Authority Partnership Charter sets out how billing authorities and the VOA can work together.

The Billing Authority Report best practice guide sets out the information that billing authorities need to provide for the VOA to deliver updates to their rating or valuation lists accurately and efficiently.

Management information & statistics

The VOA provides update schedules on the 2005 and 2010 list via the billing authority file transfer site (BATrans). In England, regular data sets of outstanding non-domestic rating appeals and the outcome of settled appeals for the 2005 and 2010 lists are also provided.

VOA statistical information can be found on our Statistics homepage.

All requests for additional information should be sent to our Information Management and Disclosure inbox.

The Commissioners for Revenue and Customs Act (CRCA) 2005 sets out what information held by HMRC and VOA is covered by a duty of confidentiality and the specific circumstances when information can be disclosed.

Non-Domestic Rating

Information is available on how non-domestic property is valued.

Summary valuations of most properties and details of when we expect to start discussing appeals can be viewed by visiting the Rating list online.

For help using Rating list online please visit:

Information about Valuation Officers and Local Authorities.

For further non-domestic rating information you can view the VOA’s Rating Manual.

Renewable Energy Certificates

Requests for Renewable Energy Certificates should be submitted to the local NDR Unit inbox. Further information on Renewable Energy Certificates is available in our Rating Manual.

Requesting estimates of rateable values

Requests for estimates of rateable values (RV) should be submitted to the local NDR Unit inbox. Further information on estimated assessments is available in our Rating Manual.

Council Tax

Visit the Council Tax list online to view the banding of a domestic property.

We have published guidance on home based businesses.

Further information is contained in our Council Tax Manual.

District Valuer Services (DVS)

DVS is the specialist property arm of the VOA. Find out more about our District Valuer Services available to Local Authorities by visiting the DVS homepage.

About the VOA

VOA News

VOA Publications

Further information

For any additional questions from local authorities you can email the Rates Retention inbox.