The Valuation Office Agency (VOA) gives the government the valuations and property advice needed to support taxation and benefits.
The Valuation Office Agency (VOA) provides valuations and property advice to support taxation and benefits to the government and local authorities in England, Scotland and Wales. We also provide valuation and surveying services to public sector bodies.
Our work covers these core areas:
- providing valuation and surveying services to more than 2,200 customers across the UK public sector
- advising ministers on valuation, property matters and benefits
Who we are
The VOA is an executive agency of HM Revenue & Customs and employs more than 3,600 staff.
- compiling and maintaining lists of council tax bands for 25 million domestic properties
- compiling and maintaining lists detailing the rateable value of 1.9 million commercial properties for business rates
Community Infrastructure Levy
The VOA decides appeals against the Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL).
Right to Buy
The VOA provides determinations of value for Right to Buy (RTB) in England and Wales.
VOA Rent Officers
- determining Local Housing Allowance (LHA) rates across England
- advising local authorities of the maximum subsidy level payable for housing benefit claims under the local reference rent system
- maintaining a register of fair rents for regulated tenancies in England
Our priorities, plans and activities
To find out more about our plans for the year ahead, read the VOA business plan.
Access our information
- Media enquiries
- Our governance
- Complaints procedure
- Statistics at VOA
- Corporate reports
- Transparency data