Complaints procedure

How to complain about the Valuation Office Agency’s service.

We aim to provide a high standard of service and provide it in a way that helps build your confidence in us and the way we carry out our business. Our objective to provide a quality service is supported by the standards of the HMRC Charter and our own code of practice on complaints.

Types of complaints we can help with

Please tell us if you think:

  • you have been denied your rights
  • we have made a mistake
  • you have been treated badly
  • we have not acted in accordance with our code of practice

How to complain

You can complain in writing, by email, phone or by visiting one of our offices. We will try to respond to your complaint as quickly as possible.

When you have a complaint, it is usually best to contact the person you have been dealing with or that person’s manager. We know most concerns can be resolved this way without the need for a formal complaint.

There are 2 tiers to VOA’s internal complaints procedure. If you wish to make a formal complaint a Complaints Investigation Manager will deal with your complaint at tier 1. If your complaint cannot be resolved at tier 1, you can ask for it to be reviewed at tier 2.


Opening hours: Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5:00pm. Closed on bank holidays.
Find out about call charges:

If you’re not satisfied

If you are not happy with the response at tier 2, you can ask the adjudicator for VOA to look into your complaint. The adjudicator is a fair and unbiased referee whose recommendations are independent.

You can contact the adjudicator at:

The Adjudicator’s Office
PO BOX 10280

Telephone: 0300 057 1111

Check the role of the adjudicator and how to make a complaint.

You can also contact your MP to ask them to refer your complaint to the Parliamentary Ombudsman. The ombudsman is independent of government and their service is free of charge.

The ombudsman will normally expect you to have had your complaint considered by the Valuation Office Agency and the adjudicator before they consider your case.

Reporting serious misconduct

Write to VOA to complain about alleged misconduct by VOA personnel involving criminal or near criminal behaviour.



Complaints Investigation Team

Valuation Office Agency Complaints Investigation Team
8th Floor
10 South Colonnade

Canary Wharf
E14 4PU

How to complain about alleged misconduct by VOA personnel

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.