UK nationals living in the EU/EEA and Switzerland: Healthcare

Information on healthcare for UK nationals living in the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland if the UK leaves the EU without a deal on 29 March.

The government has, or is seeking, agreements with countries in the EU/EEA and Switzerland on the continuation of healthcare arrangements for UK nationals after 29 March.

Your access to healthcare may change if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.

There are steps you may have to take now to prepare. This will differ according to the country you are living in.

How you can prepare for 29 March

Read NHS advice about the country you live in for more information on accessing healthcare in countries in the EU/EEA and Switzerland.

Register for healthcare

If you are eligible, register for healthcare under the local rules of the country you live in. You may have to be a long-term legal resident or pay social security contributions to access free or discounted healthcare in the EU/EEA country.

It is recommended that you get health insurance while you are applying for residency.

Health insurance

You may need to buy healthcare insurance in the country you live in so you can receive the healthcare treatment you need.

Information for students

If you are a UK resident and studying in a country in the EU/EEA or Switzerland, and you have an European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), this will be valid until 29 March 2019. You should buy insurance to cover your healthcare after this date, as you would if visiting a non-EU country.

Find out more about healthcare for UK nationals visiting in the EU/EEA or Switzerland

S1 certificate (formerly known as E106)

An S1 certificate helps you and your dependents access healthcare in the EU/EEA country where you live. If you have an S1 certificate, it will be valid until 29 March 2019.

After this date, the certificate may not be valid, depending on decisions by member states. You should go to the NHS website for the latest information on each country.

You can continue to apply for an S1 certificate until 29 March.

You may be eligible for an S1 certificate, if you:

  • have worked and paid contributions in the UK
  • receive some UK benefits such as pensions

Apply through the Business Services Authority for an S1 certificate on 0044 (0)191 218 1999.

If you are a posted worker, contact HMRC: National Insurance Contributions and Employer Office

National Insurance Contributions and Employer Office
HM Revenue and Customs
United Kingdom

  • Telephone: 0044 (0)300 200 3500
  • Outside UK: 0044 (0)191 203 7010

Agreement with Switzerland

The UK has agreed a Citizens’ Rights Agreement with Switzerland in both a deal and a no-deal scenario.

Find out more about the Swiss Citizens’ Rights Agreement.

Published 28 January 2019