IPAFFS is the UK’s notification system for importing animals and animal products.
You must continue to use the EU’s TRACES (Trade Control and Expert System) for imports into the UK until 14 December 2019.
From 14 December 2019, you must use TRACES New Technology (TNT). Register for TRACES New Technology.
The Import of Products, Animals, Food and Feed System (IPAFFS) is the UK’s system for importing animals, animal products, high-risk food and animal feed of non-animal origin.
- controls imports of live animals, products of animal origin, high-risk food and feed of non-animal origin from non-EU countries (third countries)
- allows importers or agents to create an import notification and legal declaration for their consignments
- allows consignments to be inspected at UK border inspection posts (BIPs) or designated point of entry (DPEs)
- records the results of inspections against each notification
- triggers the HMRC customs clearance process
Registering for IPAFFS
You’ll need to create a Government Gateway account for the business or organisation you represent.
If you have a personal Government Gateway account, you should create a new one so your business contact details are linked to it.
If you’re registering on behalf of a business or organisation, you also need the:
- main contact details for your business or organisation (for example, for head office)
- Companies House number if you’re registering on behalf of a limited company