IPAFFS is the UK’s new notification system for importing animals and animal products.
You must continue to use the EU’s TRACES (Trade Control and Expert System) for imports into the UK until after Brexit.
The Import of Products, Animals, Food and Feed System (IPAFFS) is the UK’s new system for importing animals, animal products, high-risk food and animal feed of non-animal origin.
IPAFFS will replace the EU’s TRACES (Trade Control and Expert System) after Brexit.
You must use IPAFFS for imports from non-EU countries from day one - it will later be expanded to include imports from EU countries.
Defra will update this page with the process for imports from the EU once it’s confirmed.
- control imports of live animals, products of animal origin, high-risk food and feed of non-animal origin from non-EU countries (third countries)
- allow importers or agents to create an import notification and legal declaration for their consignments
- allow consignments to be inspected at UK border inspection posts (BIPs) or designated point of entry (DPEs)
- record the results of inspections against each notification
- trigger the HMRC customs clearance process
Registering for IPAFFS
You’ll need to create a Government Gateway account for the business or organisation you represent.
If you have a personal Government Gateway account, you should create a new one so your business contact details are linked to it.
If you’re registering on behalf of a business or organisation, you also need the:
- main contact details for your business or organisation (for example, for head office)
- Companies House number if you’re registering on behalf of a limited company
You can request training on how to use IPAFFS by emailing BFPEUExit.ImportsExports@defra.gov.uk.