How to find out if a coal mining licence or agreement is needed and how to apply.
You will need a licence or agreement for any any activity which enters or disturbs the Coal Authority’s property.
When carrying out investigation or treatment of coal mining activities for development you’ll need to get a coal mining permit instead.
Mining activities which require a licence
You will need a licence for
- the mining of coal
- exploration for coal exploitation of coal methane
- underground coal gasification
- minewater heat recovery
- deep energy boreholes
- dig and carry away coal during a non-coal related development
It’s an offence to carry out coal mining operations without a licence.
Apply for a licence
To apply for a licence you will need to:
- download the relevant application form, model documents and guidance notes
- email or post your application to the Coal Authority’s Licensing and Permits Office
- pay the appropriate fee by credit card or direct bank transfer.
Licensing and permissions
The Coal Authority
200 Lichfield Lane
Telephone 01623 637 339
Monday to Thursday: 8:45am to 5:00pm
Friday: 8:45am to 4:30pm