Get a coal mining licence or other consent
How to find out if a coal mining licence or other consent is needed and how to apply.
You will need a licence for coal mining operations or another consent for any activity which enters or passes through the Coal Authority’s property.
When carrying out investigation or treatment of coal mining activities for development you’ll need to get a coal mining permit instead.
Coal mining operations which require a licence
You will need a licence for
- surface coal mining
- underground coal mining
- underground coal gasification
It’s an offence to carry out coal mining operations without a licence.
Other activities which require a consent
- deep energy boreholes
- exploitation of coal methane
- exploration for coal
- incidental coal which needs to be removed as part of a development
- minewater heat recovery
Apply for a licence or other consent
To apply for a licence or other consent you will need to:
- download the relevant application form, model documents and guidance notes
- email or post your application to the Coal Authority’s Licensing Office
- pay the appropriate fee by credit card or direct bank transfer.
Licensing and permissions
The Coal Authority
200 Lichfield Lane
Telephone 01623 637 339
Monday to Thursday: 8:45am to 5:00pm
Friday: 8:45am to 4:30pm