Get a permit to deal with coal or coal mines
You must get permission to enter, disturb or change coal mines or coal managed or owned by the Coal Authority that’s on your property.
- coal seams under your property
- coal workings, such as existing mine tunnels
- mine entrances
You need to get a permit if you want to:
- cap the mine
- fill the mine
- drill boreholes through a coal seam
- build over or near to the entrance to the mine
You need a mining licence or ‘agreement’ to mine coal or extract gas.
How to apply
Fill in the online application form. You’ll have to:
- register first if you don’t have an account with the Coal Authority
- upload a plan, including Ordnance Survey map references, showing the site location and any relevant details, for example works or boreholes
You can also apply using a paper form. Email or post it to the address on the form.
However you apply, you’ll need to:
If you need help with your application
Contact the Coal Authority’s permissions department.