You must get permission to enter, disturb or change coal mines or coal managed or owned by the Coal Authority that’s on your property.
- coal seams under your property
- coal workings, eg existing mine tunnels
- mine entrances
You need to get a permit if you want to:
- cap the mine
- fill the mine
- drill boreholes through a coal seam
- build over or near to the entrance to the mine
You need a mining licence or ‘agreement’ to mine coal or extract gas.
How to apply
Fill in the online application form. You’ll have to:
- register first if you don’t have an account with the Coal Authority
- upload a plan, including Ordnance Survey map references, showing the site location and any relevant details, eg works or boreholes
You can also apply using a paper form. Email or post it to the address on the form.
However you apply, you’ll need to:
If you need help with your application
Contact the Coal Authority’s permissions department.