EU Settlement Scheme: evidence of UK residence

How to provide evidence that you’ve been living here if we can’t confirm this through an automated check of UK tax and benefits records.

The EU Settlement Scheme pilot is now closed. Applications for the scheme will reopen on 21 January 2019.

The scheme will open fully by 30 March 2019.

If you have any questions, contact the Settlement Resolution Centre on 0300 123 7379 or by using the online form.

UK tax and benefits records check

You can use your National Insurance number to help confirm when you’ve been resident in the UK.

After you pay your fee in the online application form, the Home Office will do an automated check of UK tax and some benefits records. You’ll see the result straight away.

We use these records to help us work out whether you’ve been ‘continuously resident’ in the UK for more or less than 5 years. Continuous residence means you’ve been in the UK for at least 6 months in any 12 month period. We can make exceptions to this rule in some circumstances.

In some instances, there will not be enough data for us to be able to confirm automatically that you’ve been here for 5 years in a row. This is not a problem. You can upload photos or scans of documents as evidence of your UK residence.

If you tell us that you want to provide evidence of your UK residence to add to your tax and benefits records, we’ll tell you which period/s of time you need to provide that evidence for (for example, 6 months of 2014 and 6 months of 2016). You won’t need to provide evidence for your entire UK residence – just enough to show whether you qualify for settled or pre-settled status.

Reasons that we sometimes won’t find enough data automatically include: because it isn’t possible to match you with government records (based on the information you’ve given), or because there were periods when you weren’t working or receiving benefits in the UK.

Submitting documents as evidence of residence

All the documents you submit as evidence must be dated and should have your name on.

You should only provide one piece of evidence to cover each month or longer period of time.

Use documents that cover longer periods of time wherever possible, such as bank statements, council tax bills or university letters and certificates. These will confirm your residence for the entire period of time they cover, so you will need to submit fewer of them.

A document with a single date on will count as proof of residence for that month only, for example an electricity bill, official letter or GP appointment card.

The lists of evidence below are not exhaustive.

Evidence that covers longer periods of time

Documents that cover a longer time period between 2 dates include:

  • annual bank statement or account summary, showing at least 6 months of payments received or spending in the UK
  • employer letter confirming employment, and evidence that the employer is genuine (for example, their Companies House number)
  • a P60 for a 12-month period - your P60 shows the tax you’ve paid on your salary in the tax year (6 April to 5 April). We may ask you for additional evidence to confirm that you were resident here for at least 6 months of that period.
  • a P45 showing the length of your previous employment. You should get a P45 from your employer when you stop working for them.
  • council tax bills
  • letters or certificates from your school, college, university or other accredited educational or training organisation showing the dates you enrolled, attended and completed your course
  • invoices for fees from your school, college, university or other accredited educational or training organisation and evidence of payment
  • documents showing a UK address from a student finance body in England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland or from the Student Loans Company
  • residential mortgage statements or rental agreements and evidence of payment
  • letters from a registered care home confirming your residence there
  • employer pension contributions
  • annual business accounts of a self-employed person

Evidence that covers shorter periods of time

These documents count as evidence for 1 month if they have a single date on. They will cover a longer period of time if they have a start and end date.

  • bank statements showing payments received or spending in the UK
  • payslips for a UK-based job
  • water, gas or electricity bills which show a UK address
  • landline or mobile telephone, TV or internet bills showing a UK address
  • domestic bills, such as for home repairs, vet’s services or insurance, and evidence of payment
  • cards or letters from your GP or other healthcare professional confirming appointments you have made or attended
  • letters from government departments, other public services or charities that show you dealt with them on a particular date or for a particular period (for example Job Centre Plus or Citizens Advice)
  • passport stamps confirming entry at the UK border
  • used travel tickets confirming you entered the UK from another country
  • invoices for work you have done in the UK and evidence of payment

Documents you cannot use as evidence

The documents you use should be from an official or impartial source.

You cannot use:

  • photos and videos
  • letters or references from family and friends
  • greeting cards, for example birthday cards
  • postcards sent or received
  • personal scrapbooks

If you do not have enough evidence

If you do not have enough evidence in your own name, we’ll work with you to confirm when you’ve been resident in the UK based on all the evidence available.

Published 22 October 2018
Last updated 22 December 2018 + show all updates
  1. The pilot is now closed.
  2. Updated to define P45s and P60s
  3. Updated evidence of residence lists, added guidance on what to do if you do not have enough evidence in your own name
  4. First published.