Environmental Stewardship: funding to farmers for environmental land management

As a landowner or manager find out how to manage your Environmental Stewardship agreement.

Environmental Stewardship (ES) is a land management scheme. It’s closed to new applicants. Natural England manages existing agreements until they reach their agreed end date.

There are 3 levels to the scheme:

  • Entry Level Stewardship (ELS) – includes Uplands ELS: simple and effective land management agreements with priority options
  • Organic Entry Level Stewardship (OELS) – includes Uplands OELS: organic and conventional mixed farming agreements
  • Higher Level Stewardship (HLS) - more complex types of management and agreements tailored to local circumstances

See the Natural England website archive for more details about Environmental Stewardship.

Changes to the payment split for multi-year grants

You’ll now get 75% of your annual grant as an advance payment. You’ll get the remaining 25% as a final payment (subject to any penalties or reductions). The change is effective immediately and includes your 2017 agreement payments.

You don’t need to do anything, Natural England will adjust your payments for you. There are no changes to how and when you make a claim.

For enquiries contact Natural England. Telephone: 0208 0261089 Email:

Mapping updates

The Rural Payments Agency (RPA) is making updates to their digital maps from July 2017 to autumn 2017. For more information on these updates see the RPA’s RLE1 webpage.

To view your individual land parcels go to From the ‘Business overview’ screen, click ‘Land’ then ‘View land’.

If the mapping changes affect your Environmental Stewardship agreement, Natural England will:

  • pick the changes up from the RPA - you don’t need to alert Natural England to these changes
  • incorporate the mapping changes when it next needs to take any action in relation to your agreement - for example when processing a claim for payment or to process a transfer or amendment which you have requested
  • contact you if it needs to discuss any changes

Use the correct handbook for your agreement

The terms and conditions of your existing agreements are determined by the relevant scheme handbook.

Handbook 1: agreement start dates from 1 February 2006 to 30 September 2008

ELS handbook:

OELS handbook:

HLS handbook

Handbook 2: agreement start dates from 1 October 2008 to 31 December 2009

ELS handbook:

OELS handbook:

HLS handbook:

Handbook 3: agreement start dates from 1 January 2010 to 31 December 2012

ELS handbook:

OELS handbook:

HLS handbook:

Handbook 4: agreement start dates from 1 January 2013 to 1 December 2014

Use these publications to help with management if your land includes common land or traditional orchards:

Forms and guidance

Use the forms and guidance to help you manage your ES agreement.



Natural England
County Hall, Spetchley Road

Opening times: 8:30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays)

Find out about call charges at

Or contact our offices direct by post or email:

East of England

(Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Norfolk, Suffolk)

Natural England, PO Box 247, Cambridge CB2 2WW


East Midlands

(Derbyshire, Leicestershire, Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire, Nottinghamshire, Rutland)

Natural England, PO Box 10276, Nottingham NG2 9PD


North east

(Northumberland, Tyne and Wear, Durham, former county of Cleveland)

Natural England, PO Box 1316, Newcastle upon Tyne NE99 4PB


North west

(Cheshire, Cumbria, Greater Manchester, Lancashire, Merseyside)

Natural England, PO Box 380, Crewe CW1 6YH


South east

(Greater London, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, East Sussex, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Kent, Oxfordshire, Surrey, West Sussex)

Natural England, PO Box 2423, Reading RG1 6WY


South west

(Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Gloucestershire, Somerset, The Scilly Isles, Wiltshire, former county of Avon)

Natural England, PO Box 3135, Bristol BS1 9GN


West Midlands

(Herefordshire, Shropshire, Staffordshire, Warwickshire, West Midlands, Worcestershire)

Natural England, PO Box 530, Worcester WR5 2WZ


Yorkshire and the Humber

(East Riding of Yorkshire, North Lincolnshire, North Yorkshire, South Yorkshire, West Yorkshire)

Natural England, PO Box 798, Leeds LS1 9NA


Published 11 September 2012
Last updated 19 September 2017 + show all updates
  1. Added section on the way payment split is changing for multi year grants.
  2. Mapping updates section added.
  3. Page updates for new Countryside Stewardship scheme
  4. notice about ELS schemes closing to new applicants
  5. update for transition to GOV.UK
  6. Added note about closure for new 2013 applications.
  7. Updated links to 4th edition handbooks. Removed case study.
  8. First published.