Guidance on gaining or revalidating an endorsement for a Global Maritime Distress and Safety System certificate for working at sea on UK vessels.
Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) uses personal information that we collect about you when you apply for global maritime distress safety system (GMDSS) certification with the Association of Marine Electronic and Radio Colleges Limited (AMERC).
Applications for GMDSS certification are administered on behalf of the MCA, which is an executive agency, sponsored by the Department for Transport. The MCA is the data controller for the personal data we collect through the services provided by AMERC for the conduct of GMDSS examinations; course approvals, audits and collection of fees.
To find out more about how the MCA look after personal data, your rights and how to contacts our data protection officer please go to the MCA personal information charter page.
As radio personnel serving on UK registered vessels you must apply to the MCA to get your original global maritime distress and safety system (GMDSS) certificate endorsed so it meets the standards for training, certification and watch keeping (STCW) requirements. This applies to general operators certificates (GOC) and restricted operators certificates (ROC).
You must revalidate your STCW endorsement every 5 years.
How to apply
Complete the application form MSF 4354 below.
- MSF 4354 Application for initial STCW endorsement and subsequent revalidation to GMDSS certificate of competence
Refer to marine guidance note MGN 214 (M) below for further information.
- MGN 214 (M) part 4 marine guidance note: certificates of competency – radio personnel
Read the guidance notes in your application form to check you are submitting the documents correctly.
If you are applying for your first STCW endorsement you must include:
- original UK GMDSS GOC or ROC
- valid medical fitness certificate, ENG1 or accepted equivalent further information can be found in MSN 1815 (M).
- 4 elements of STCW basic training certificates or a UK CoC.
The basic training certificates are:
- personal survival techniques (STCW Code A-VI/1-1)
- fire prevention and fire fighting (STCW Code A-VI/1-2)
- elementary first aid (STCW Code A-VI/1-3)
- personal safety and social responsibilities (STCW Code A-VI/1-4)
To revalidate an STCW endorsement you must include:
- original UK GMDSS GOC or ROC
- valid medical fitness certificate; ENG1 or an accepted equivalent, further information can be found in MSN 1815 (M)
And either: * An attested copy of your Certificate of Competency * Evidence of having completed or updated the training for Personal Survival Techniques and Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting within the last 5 years.
Post your application, supporting documents and courier fee to the MCA:
Deck and GMDSS Section
Seafarer Training and Certification Branch
Maritime and Coastguard Agency
105 Commercial Road
MCA does not accept email or fax applications
The MCA aims to process your application within 15 days of receipt. You’ll receive an email:
- when your application has been received
- if any further information/evidence is needed
- when your certificate(s) and documents are being couriered back to you
Contact the Seafarer Training and Certification Branch at the MCA if you’ve got any queries about your application:
Tel +44 (0) 23 8032 9231
MCA does not offer a counter service.
Accepted non-UK GMDSS
The MCA will accept some non-UK GMDSS towards the application of a UK CoC.
- Find information about countries that have GMDSS certificates which are acceptable equivalents.
GMDSS that is accepted will be marked “yes”.
Radio operators working on offshore oil and gas installations or fishing vessels don’t need GMDSS endorsement. If you do request an endorsement you’ll need to comply with MCA application requirements and provide STCW basic training certificates.
Contact the Association of Marine Electronic and Radio Colleges if you’ve lost your original GOC or ROCcertificate and need a replacement.