How to apply to replace your STCW certificate

Complete MSF 4299 for the replacement of a certificate of competency.


MSF 4299 Application for the replacement of a certificate of competency or certificate of equivalent competency

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


Please note that you must also apply for a revalidation if your lost certificate of competency (CoC) has expired. If this is the case please also complete form MSF4201.

The MCA is unable to offer a counter service.

Published 17 April 2014
Last updated 7 January 2019 + show all updates
  1. Removed reference to CEC as this now has a stand alone form.
  2. Application form updated with fee changes.
  3. Application form updated
  4. Application form updated
  5. Application form has been updated
  6. Updated to include ECDIS / HV limitation removal
  7. First published.