We develop and maintain relations between the UK and Malta. Our work covers a range of issues including irregular migration and combating terrorism or organised criminality.

We help to build the UK’s prosperity, for example by working to deepen business links between the UK and Malta, and working with Malta at EU level to drive growth, increase competitiveness and create jobs.

We offer consular support to British nationals travelling to Malta and those British nationals resident in Malta. We deliver high quality, modern and cost effective consular services, targeting our assistance to those who need it most.

A link to our opening hours is found at the bottom of this page.

Services for British nationals

Urgent assistance

If you’re in Malta and you urgently need help (eg if you’ve been attacked, arrested or there has been a death), call +356 2323 0000 If you’re in the UK and concerned about a British national in Malta, call 020 7008 1500.

Get or renew a passport

The British High Commission can’t help with passport enquiries. Contact Her Majesty’s Passport Office if you need help.

If you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel, you may be able to get an emergency travel document.

Get an emergency travel document

You can apply for an emergency travel document if you’re abroad and your passport has been lost or stolen, damaged or expired, and you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel.

If you’re due to travel in the next 24 hours, contact us as soon as possible.

Apply online for an emergency travel document if you:

  • are over 16 years old and
  • are a British citizen and
  • have previously owned a British passport

Contact us to apply for an emergency travel document if you are:

  • over 16 years old but have not owned a British passport before or
  • not a British citizen or
  • applying for a child under 16 years old

Once you have contacted us, you will be advised to make an appointment to apply for an emergency travel document at the British High Commission Malta.

Travel advice: for information and advice on travelling to Malta see travel advice for Malta.

Get a visa

The British High Commission can’t help with visa enquiries.

If you’re not a British national, you may need a visa to travel to the UK. Check if you need a UK visa.

If you’re a British national travelling abroad and need to apply for a visa to visit a particular country or check if you need a visa, see the entry requirements on our foreign travel advice for the country you want to visit.

For more information on visas, see UK visas and immigration.

Marriage and civil partnerships

We can only perform a same sex marriage for British nationals. For information on getting married in Malta see getting married abroad.

We can convert an existing civil partnership into marriage. For information on getting married or entering into a civil partnership, see getting married abroad.

You do not need to have formed your civil partnership in Malta, but you must have been living here for 28 days. We can only convert UK Civil Partnerships where at least one of the parties is a UK national, (ie those registered in England and Wales or Scotland or at a British Consulate or armed forces base), not foreign equivalents. We cannot convert a Civil Partnership registered in Northern Ireland under any circumstances. Please note that the marriage will not necessarily be recognized by the Maltese authorities.

Register a birth or death

Find out how to register a birth or register a death that occurred in Malta. You can’t register a birth or death at the High Commission.

Bereavement support

If the death occurred in Malta and you’re still in the country, contact us. If you’re in the UK and hear of the death of a relative from a third party, you should contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office on 020 7008 1500.

Read our guidance on coping with death abroad

Support if you’ve been arrested

We’ll do all we can to contact you within 24 hours of being told that you’ve been detained or arrested, and will give you a prisoner pack with information for British prisoners in Malta. We cannot get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings.

Notarial and documentary services

We cannot offer notarial services as Malta is a Commonwealth country. Persons requiring notarial work, including those requiring a certified copy of a British passport, or the legalisation of documents, should contact a local notary. In the case of legalising documents, the Legalisation Office in the UK can also be contacted.

Legalisation services

Malta does not provide legalisation services. Ask the UK government to get a UK document legalised (certified as genuine).

Local service providers

Use our lists of local suppliers and services if you need help in Malta. Please note that inclusion in these lists does not constitute official endorsement by the British High Commission or the UK government.

For general information on living in or planning to live in Malta, see living in Malta

How else we can help

In addition to the services listed above we can also:

  • provide information about transferring funds
  • provide appropriate help if you have suffered rape or serious assault, are a victim of other crime, or are in hospital
  • help people with mental illness
  • offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions, missing people and kidnapping
  • contact family or friends for you if you want
  • make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters or other crises abroad

For more information on the services we can provide, see Support for British nationals abroad: A guide.

What the High Commission cannot do for you

Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:

  • help you enter a country, for example, if you don’t have a visa or your passport is not valid
  • give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers.
  • get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people
  • pay any bills or give you money (in very exceptional circumstances we may lend you some money from public funds, which you’ll have to pay back)
  • make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation
  • make business arrangements on your behalf

Consular fees

We charge fees for some of our services. See the full list of consular fees in Malta

Our people

Stuart Gill OBE

Stuart Gill OBE

British High Commissioner to Malta

  • Amy Smith

    British Deputy High Commissioner, Malta

Contact us

British High Commission Malta

Whitehall Mansions, Ta’ Xbiex Seafront
Ta’ Xbiex

XBX 1026

Consular enquiries email (not visas or passports): malta.consulate@fco.gov.uk

Access and opening times