British High Commissioner to Rwanda
We develop and maintain relations between the United Kingdom and Rwanda.
We deal with a wide range of political, commercial, security and economic questions of interest to the UK and Rwanda. The High Commission and its liaison office in Burundi provide consular assistance to British nationals in Rwanda and Burundi.
This High Commission does not deal with visa matters. For information on whether you need a visa to travel to the United Kingdom and how to apply, please see the UK Visas & Immigration page.
Information on staying safe and avoiding problems when living or travelling abroad, with links to our embassies, high commissions and other diplomatic posts across the world.
You no longer need to register with us. You can access to up-to-date country specific travel advice.
We would encourage you subscribe to email travel advice alerts on the website. You can also follow us on Twitter and on Facebook.
Passports and emergency travel documents
From 14 January 2015, UK birth registrations and death registrations in Rwanda will transfer from the British High Commission Kigali to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) in the UK.
There are no changes to the entitlement to register a birth or death. The processing time will remain the same. However, you will now need to allow extra time for the documents to be sent to and from the UK. See register a birth or register a death and legal documents for couples marrying or entering into civil partnerships abroad.
How to get official confirmation that your UK public documentation is genuine so it can be accepted by the foreign authorities. The UK does not require any document to be legalised for use within the UK.
Information on the kind of help we can provide to British nationals who find themselves in difficulty overseas is set in our publication.
A guide to Consular Fees for British nationals living in Rwanda can be found here: Consular Fees
Information for British nationals arrested and imprisoned in Rwanda can be found here: Rwanda - Prisoner pack
We provide a list of English speaking lawyers in Rwanda please, follow this link to see the list Rwanda – List of Lawyers
This information is intended for British nationals who may have death occurences of their loved ones in Rwanda Rwanda – List of Funeral Directors
British nationals in Rwanda who may need services of a translator can choose from the list here: Rwanda – List of Translators/Interpreters
Information about medical facilities and practitioners in Rwanda can be found here: Rwanda – List of medical facilities/practitioners
A guide for British nationals can be found on this link: Living in Rwanda
Consular Assistance - 24 Hours
For consular assistance, for a British National please call +250 252 556000 and follow the instructions to be connected with consular officers.
What the High Commission cannot do for you
Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:
• get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings
• help you enter a country, for example, if you do not have a visa or your passport is not valid, as we cannot interfere in another country’s immigration policy or procedures
• give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers
• get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people
• pay any bills or give you money
• make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation
• make business arrangements on your behalf
• issue a full British passport
Deputy High Commissioner, British High Commission Kigali