We develop and maintain the strong relations between the United Kingdom and Italy, our partner in many international organisations such as the EU, G7, G20 and NATO. We cooperate on a wide range of issues including the economy, in particular measures that generate wealth in both our countries, commercial regulation in the single market, energy policy and international security. We also cover San Marino remotely.

We work to improve the relations between scientists and researchers working on innovative projects in Italy and the UK. We have a team dedicated to sharing our armed forces’ expertise and to developing stronger ties and opening up the military sector to UK commercial contacts.

We have trade offices in Rome and Milan. Our consular network is based in Rome and Milan and is supported by a network of honorary consuls in major Italian cities. We also offer consular assistance to British nationals in San Marino from our Consular section at the British Embassy in Rome and our consulate in Milan.

Check our opening hours

Services for British nationals

Urgent assistance

If you’re in Italy and you urgently need help (eg if you’ve been attacked, arrested or lost your passport), call +39 06 4220 0001. If you’re in the UK and concerned about a British national in Italy, call 020 7008 1500.

Get or renew a passport

The British embassy can’t help with passport enquiries. Contact Her Majesty’s Passport Office if you need help.

If you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel, you may be able to get an emergency travel document.

Get an emergency travel document

You can apply for an emergency travel document if you’re abroad and your passport has been lost or stolen, damaged or expired, and you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel.

If you’re due to travel in the next 24 hours, contact us as soon as possible.

Apply online for an emergency travel document if you:

  • are over 16 years old and
  • are a British citizen and
  • have previously owned a British passport

Contact us to apply for an emergency travel document if you are:

  • over 16 years old but have not owned a British passport before or
  • not a British citizen or
  • applying for a child under 16 years old

Once you have contacted us, you will be advised to make an appointment to apply for an emergency travel document at the British Embassy Rome.

Travel advice: for information and advice on travelling to Italy see travel advice for Italy

Get a visa

The British embassy can’t help with visa enquiries.

If you’re not a British national, you may need a visa to travel to the UK. Check if you need a UK visa.

If you’re a British national travelling abroad and need to apply for a visa to visit a particular country or check if you need a visa, see the entry requirements on our foreign travel advice for the country you want to visit.

For more information on visas, see UK visas and immigration.


On 5 June 2016 the Same Sex Civil Unions Law (Legge Cirinná n.76 of 20 May 2016) was passed in Italy. This recognises civil unions of same-sex couples. Information for British nationals on how to apply for the documentation required is available on getting married abroad.

For information on getting married in Italy, see getting married abroad. We can issue certificates of no impediment to allow British nationals to marry in Italy.

Register a birth or death

Find out how to register a birth or register a death that occurred in Italy. You can’t register a birth or death at the embassy.

Bereavement support

If the death occurred in Italy and you’re still in the country, contact us. If you’re in the UK and hear of the death of a relative from a third party, you should contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office on 020 7008 1500.

Read our guidance on coping with death abroad as well as our bereavement guide for Italy.

Support if you’ve been arrested

We’ll do all we can to contact you within 24 hours of being told that you’ve been detained or arrested, and will give you a prisoner pack with information for British prisoners in Italy.

We cannot get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings, or get you better treatment in prison than is given to local people.

Support if you’re in hospital

We may be able to visit you if you’re hospitalised in Italy. We have also produced guidance on hospitalisation in Italy including information on local procedures and a glossary of terms. We can’t get you better treatment than is given to local people.

Notarial and documentary services

We offer limited notarial services at the embassy, including administering an oath of British citizenship. We also produce informative notes you can download for free to present to the local authorities if asked for certain certificates. For full details see our notarial and documentary services guide for Italy.

Legalisation services

Ask the UK government to get a UK document legalised (certified as genuine).

Local service providers

Use our lists of local English-speaking suppliers and services if you need help in Italy:

Please note that inclusion in these lists does not constitute official endorsement by the British embassy or the UK government.

How else we can help

In addition to the services listed above we can also:

For more information on the services we can provide, see Support for British nationals abroad: A guide.

General information on living in Italy such as pensions, benefits and residence permits.

What the embassy cannot do for you

Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:

  • help you enter a country, for example, if you don’t have a visa or your passport is not valid
  • give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers.
  • pay any bills or give you money (in very exceptional circumstances we may lend you some money from public funds, which you’ll have to pay back)
  • make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation
  • make business arrangements on your behalf

Consular fees

We charge fees for some of our services. See the full list of consular fees in Italy

Our people

Jill Morris CMG

Jill Morris CMG

British Ambassador to Italy and San Marino

  • Ken O'Flaherty

    Deputy Head of Mission, Italy

  • Tim Flear MVO

    HM Consul General Milan and Director of Trade and Investment Italy, Department for International Trade

Contact us

British Embassy Rome

Via XX Settembre 80/a
00187 Rome

The British Embassy offices in Rome are not open to the public. Visits are by appointment only.
We do not answer visa enquiries.

Access and opening times

Rome Consular Section

British Embassy Rome
Via XX Settembre 80/a
00187 Rome

Access and opening times

Department for International Trade Italy

British Consulate General
Via San Paolo, 7

20121 Milan

Access and opening times

UK Representation to the UN Agencies for Food and Agriculture

Via XX Settembre 80/a
00187 Rome

Access and opening times

British Council Rome

Via di San Sebastianello, 16
00187 Rome

Access and opening times