British Ambassador to Italy and San Marino
We develop and maintain the strong relations between the United Kingdom and Italy, our partner in many international organisations such as the EU, G7, G20 and NATO. We cooperate on a wide range of issues including the economy, in particular measures that generate wealth in both our countries, commercial regulation in the single market, energy policy and international security. We also cover San Marino remotely.
We work to improve the relations between scientists and researchers working on innovative projects in Italy and the UK. We have a team dedicated to sharing our armed forces’ expertise and to developing stronger ties and opening up the military sector to UK commercial contacts.
We have trade offices in Rome, Milan and Naples. Our consular network is based in Rome and Milan and is supported by a network of honorary consuls in major Italian cities. We also offer consular assistance to British nationals in San Marino from our consulates in Rome and Milan.
Out-of-hours emergency assistance
British nationals who need emergency assistance outside normal office hours should call +39 06 4220 0001 where they will be given details on how to proceed and how to contact a duty officer.
Emergency travel documents
We may be able to provide an emergency travel document if you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel. If you are due to travel in the next 24 hours, you should contact your nearest consulate as soon as possible.
For all other applications, please check what you must bring with you and then make an appointment at your nearest consulate using the links below.
Please call your nearest consulate for advice before making an appointment if:
- you have never applied for a British passport before
- you are applying on behalf of a child
An emergency travel document does not guarantee entry to every country. Read what an emergency travel document does.
Book an appointment for an emergency travel document in Rome. [Please note that the Consular section in Rome is able to take your passport photo for a small euro cash fee].
Book an appointment for an emergency travel document in Milan.
Getting married in Italy
Those living in the UK wishing to marry in Italy should read the following information.
Those wishing to get married in Italy and resident in the country or not in the UK, can email us directly and will receive information on the procedure to follow.
For information on how to apply for your first passport or renew an existing passport, please visit the overseas passport section of this website. Please note that our consulates cannot deal with individual enquiries about passport applications.
This Embassy does not deal with visa matters. For information on whether you need a visa to travel to the United Kingdom and how to apply, please see the UK Visas & Immigration page.
Pensions and benefits in Italy
Notarial and documentary services
Information about official documents, certificates, letters, and notes available at British consulates in Italy.
A guide explaining the new rules for British citizens applying for residency in Italy, what documents are required, and information on the right to reside in Italy for both British citizens and non-EU family members.
Registering a birth or death
Understanding your legal requirements in Italy and how you can register a birth or death, and information on legal documents for couples marrying or entering into civil partnerships abroad.
List of lawyers and interpreters
A list of English speaking lawyers and interpreters who may be able to help you with official transactions in Italy. Please note that inclusion in this list does not constitute official endorsement by the British Embassy or the UK government.
Travel advice for Italy
Travel advice for Italy. Information, news and updates to ensure you stay safe, avoid problems, and make informed decisions when living or travelling in Italy.
Guides we produce
We also produce guides for British nationals who need information about services that are not provided by our Consulates, but that you may find useful in specific circumstances.
- Living in Italy - a general set of information and links for British nationals who have a residence in Italy.
How else we can help
In addition to the services listed above we can also:
- provide information about transferring funds
- provide appropriate help if you have suffered rape or serious assault, are a victim of other crime, or are in hospital
- help people with mental illness
- do all we properly can to contact you within 24 hours of being told that you have been detained
- offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions, death of relatives overseas, missing people and kidnapping
- contact family or friends for you if you want
- make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters
UK law says we have to charge for some services. Details of our current fees and the standards of service you can expect to receive are on display in all our consular offices
What our consulates cannot do for you
Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:
- get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings
- help you enter a country, for example, if you do not have a visa or your passport is not valid, as we cannot interfere in another country’s immigration policy or procedures
- give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers
- get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people
- pay any bills or give you money (in very exceptional circumstances we may lend you some money from public funds, which you will have to pay back)
- make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation
- make business arrangements on your behalf
British Embassy Rome
Via XX Settembre 80/a
Telephone +39 06 4220 0001
Fax +39 06 4220 2333
Emergency consular assistance (24 hours) 06 4220 0001
The British Embassy offices in Rome are not open to the public. Visits are by appointment only.
We do not answer visa enquiries.
UK Representation to the UN Agencies for Food and Agriculture
Via XX Settembre 80/a
Telephone: +39 06 4220 0001
Fax: +39 06 4220 4909