British Ambassador to Italy and San Marino
We develop and maintain the strong relations between the United Kingdom and Italy, our partner in many international organisations such as the EU, G7, G20 and NATO. We cooperate on a wide range of issues including the economy, in particular measures that generate wealth in both our countries, commercial regulation in the single market, energy policy and international security. We also cover San Marino remotely.
We work to improve the relations between scientists and researchers working on innovative projects in Italy and the UK. We have a team dedicated to sharing our armed forces’ expertise and to developing stronger ties and opening up the military sector to UK commercial contacts.
We have trade offices in Rome and Milan. Our consular network is based in Rome and Milan and is supported by a network of honorary consuls in major Italian cities. We also offer consular assistance to British nationals in San Marino from our Consular section at the British Embassy in Rome and our consulate in Milan.
Services for British nationals
If you’re in Italy and you urgently need help (eg if you’ve been attacked, arrested or lost your passport), call +39 06 4220 0001. If you’re in the UK and concerned about a British national in Italy, call 020 7008 1500.
Get or renew a passport
The British embassy can’t help with passport enquiries. Contact Her Majesty’s Passport Office if you need help.
Get an emergency travel document
If you’re due to travel in the next 24 hours, contact us as soon as possible. Call us before making an appointment if you’ve never applied for a British passport before or if you’re applying for a child under the age of 16.
Travel advice: for information and advice on travelling to Italy see travel advice for Italy
Get a visa
The British embassy can’t help with visa enquiries.
If you’re not a British national, you may need a visa to travel to the UK. Check if you need a UK visa.
If you’re a British national travelling abroad and need to apply for a visa to visit a particular country or check if you need a visa, see the entry requirements on our foreign travel advice for the country you want to visit.
For more information on visas, see UK visas and immigration.
For information on getting married in Italy, see getting married abroad. We can issue certificates of no impediment to allow British nationals to marry in Italy.
Certificate of No Impediment for Marriage (CNI)
This service is for customers who have been asked by the local authorities to provide a certificate of no impediment (CNI) to prove they are allowed to marry.
If you need a CNI, you’ll have to give notice of your intended marriage at the British Embassy in Rome if you live in Italy or outside of Italy (but not UK). You need to have been living in Italy for at least 3 clear days immediately preceding your appointment date at the Embassy. For example, if your appointment is on the 6th, you will need to have been in Italy from the 2nd onward.
Please note that the CNI we produce has a six month validity. You should therefore not request a CNI more than six months in advance of your marriage date.
What to bring with you:
- the correct fee – see the list of fees. We accept cash and credit cards (not American Express) in euro and GBP
- your passport
- your original full birth certificate or naturalisation certificate
- proof of residence:
- if you are officially resident in Italy, please bring your residency certificate or a utility bill/bank statement/driving license showing your name and Italian address;
- if you are not officially resident in Italy, please provide evidence of your 3-clear-days’ presence in Italy by producing a flight ticket showing date of entry into Italy, a hotel check-in, boarding pass etc;
- if applicable deed poll or statutory declaration if you have ever changed your name (except if this is following marriage)
- copy of ID document of non-British national partner
If you or your partner have been divorced, widowed or previously in a civil partnership, you’ll also need whichever of the following documents is appropriate:
- a decree absolute or final order
- a civil partnership dissolution or annulment certificate
- your (or your partner’s) former spouse or civil partner’s death certificate
You’ll also need to provide evidence of nationality or residence in the country of divorce, if the divorce or dissolution took place outside the UK. You’ll need to get it translated if it’s not in English.
You’ll need to fill in forms for your notice of marriage, and an oath or affidavit (written statement of facts) stating that you’re free to marry.
You can download and fill in (but not sign) the forms in advance:
Register a birth or death
If the death occurred in Italy and you’re still in the country, contact us. If you’re in the UK and hear of the death of a relative from a third party, you should contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office on 020 7008 1500.
Support if you’ve been arrested
We cannot get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings, or get you better treatment in prison than is given to local people.
Support if you’re in hospital
We may be able to visit you if you’re hospitalised in Italy. We have also produced guidance on hospitalisation in Italy including information on local procedures and a glossary of terms. We can’t get you better treatment than is given to local people.
Notarial and documentary services
We offer limited notarial services at the embassy, including administering an oath of British citizenship. We also produce informative notes you can download for free to present to the local authorities if asked for certain certificates. For full details see our notarial and documentary services guide for Italy.
Ask the UK government to get a UK document legalised (certified as genuine).
The British Embassy Rome can legalise certain signatures. For full details see our notarial and documentary services guide for Italy.
Local service providers
Use our lists of local English-speaking suppliers and services if you need help in Italy:
Please note that inclusion in these lists does not constitute official endorsement by the British embassy or the UK government.
How else we can help
In addition to the services listed above we can also:
- provide information about transferring funds
- provide appropriate help if you have suffered rape or serious assault, or are a victim of other crime
- help people with mental illness
- offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions, missing peopleand kidnapping
- contact family or friends for you if you want
- make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters or other crises abroad
For more information on the services we can provide, see Support for British nationals abroad: A guide.
General information on living in Italy such as pensions, benefits and residence permits.
What the embassy cannot do for you
Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:
- help you enter a country, for example, if you don’t have a visa or your passport is not valid
- give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers.
- pay any bills or give you money (in very exceptional circumstances we may lend you some money from public funds, which you’ll have to pay back)
- make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation
- make business arrangements on your behalf
We charge fees for some of our services. See the full list of consular fees in Italy
British Embassy Rome
Via XX Settembre 80/a
Telephone +39 06 4220 0001
Fax +39 06 4220 2333
Emergency consular assistance (24 hours) 06 4220 0001
The British Embassy offices in Rome are not open to the public. Visits are by appointment only.
We do not answer visa enquiries.
UK Representation to the UN Agencies for Food and Agriculture
Via XX Settembre 80/a
Telephone: +39 06 4220 0001
Fax: +39 06 4220 4909