British Ambassador to Mexico
We develop and maintain the longstanding relations between the United Kingdom and Mexico.
The longstanding relationship between the United Kingdom and Mexico is a vitally important partnership. We support a range of British interests in Mexico, working together through a number of bilateral programmes, including political, commercial and economic activities of interest to both countries. Our Consulate General in Mexico City and our network of Honorary Consuls in Cancun, Los Cabos, Acapulco and Tijuana help British nationals in Mexico. Our UKTI offices in Monterrey, Guadalajara and Tijuana support British companies trading in Mexico and Mexican companies investing in the United Kingdom.
Visit our travel advice for Mexico for information, news and updates, to ensure you stay safe, avoid problems, and make informed decisions when living or travelling abroad.
Passports and emergency travel documents
How to renew or replace your British passport if you are outside the UK and information on getting replacement travel documents if your passport is lost or stolen.
For information on whether you require a visa for the United Kingdom and how to apply, go to the UK Border Agency website.
Births, deaths and marriages
Understanding your legal requirements in Mexico and how you can register a birth or death, and information on legal documents for couples marrying or entering into civil partnerships abroad.
Visit the Legalisation Office website for information on how to get official confirmation that your UK public documentation is genuine, so it can be accepted by foreign authorities. The UK does not require any documents to be legalised for use within the UK.
List of consular fees
UK law says we have to charge for some services. See our list of consular fees.
List of lawyers and interpreters
A list of English speaking lawyers and translators who may be able to help you with official transactions in Mexico. Please note that inclusion in this list does not constitute official endorsement by the British Embassy or the UK government
Explanation of the prison system in Mexico for British nationals.
How else we can help
In addition to the services listed above we can also:
- issue emergency passports (emergency travel documents)
- provide information about transferring funds
- provide appropriate help if you have suffered rape or serious assault, are a victim of other crime, or are in hospital
- help people with mental illness
- provide details of local lawyers, interpreters, doctors and funeral directors
- do all we properly can to contact you within 24 hours of being told that you have been detained
- offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions, death of relatives overseas, missing people and kidnapping
- contact family or friends for you if you want
- make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters
What our consulate cannot do for you
Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:
- get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings
- help you enter a country, for example, if you do not have a visa or your passport is not valid, as we cannot interfere in another country’s immigration policy or procedures
- give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers
- get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people
- pay any bills or give you money (in very exceptional circumstances we may lend you some money from public funds, which you will have to pay back)
- make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation
- make business arrangements on your behalf
To book an appointment for a Consular Service in Mexico City, please call (+52) 55 1670 3200 or e-mail email@example.com
Deputy Head of Mission, British Embassy Mexico City