We develop and maintain relations between the UK and Denmark. Our work covers a range of issues including political, commercial, security and economic questions.

We work closely with the Danes on responding to the financial crisis, minimising the threat from terrorism, building a strong and stable EU and on creating peace and security in Afghanistan. We explain UK policies to the Danish government, non-government organisations and media. We also report Danish views and policies to the British government.

We support British defence interests in Denmark, including developing links between the British and Danish militaries. We deal with trade and investment issues including helping British companies do business in Denmark and Danish companies do business with Britain.

The embassy works closely with the British Council Denmark on educational and cultural issues and with VisitBritain who deal with tourist enquiries for the UK.

Check our opening hours

Services for British nationals

Urgent assistance

If you’re in Denmark and you urgently need help (eg if you’ve been attacked, arrested or there has been a death), call +45 35 44 52 00. If you’re in the UK and concerned about a British national in Denmark, call 020 7008 1500.

Get or renew a passport

The British embassy can’t help with passport enquiries. Contact Her Majesty’s Passport Office if you need help.

If you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel, you may be able to get an emergency travel document.

Get an emergency travel document

You can apply for an emergency travel document if you’re abroad and your passport has been lost or stolen, damaged or expired, and you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel.

If you are due to travel in the next 24 hours, contact us as soon as possible.

Apply online for an emergency travel document if you:

  • are over 16 years old and
  • are a British citizen and
  • have previously owned a British passport

Contact us to apply for an emergency travel document if you are:

  • over 16 years old but have not owned a British passport before or
  • not a British citizen or
  • applying for a child under 16 years old

Once you have contacted us, you will be advised to make an appointment to apply for an emergency travel document at the British Embassy Copenhagen.

Travel advice: for information and advice on travelling to Denmark, see travel advice for Denmark.

Get a visa

The British embassy can’t help with visa enquiries.

If you’re not a British national, you may need a visa to travel to the UK. Check if you need a UK visa.

If you’re a British national travelling abroad and need to apply for a visa to visit a particular country or check if you need a visa, see the entry requirements on our foreign travel advice for the country you want to visit.

For more information on visas, see UK visas and immigration.


We can issue certificates of no impediment for British nationals. For information on getting married in Denmark, see getting married abroad.

There are a number of alternative documents you may be able to provide to the Danish authorities in order to prove you marital status. A no trace letter will actually give proof that a search of your marital status in the UK has occurred – something a certificate of no impediment does not.

We recommend you communicate with the Danish authorities that this is what is now available to British nationals, as communicated to the Danish MFA.

In order to apply for the search you should telephone: +44 (0)300 123 1837 (8am to 8pm Monday to Friday), where you should ask for a search to be made and quote the reference number “SEARCH 123”.

For Scotland you can find details here.

If the Danish authorities ask you to provide documentation from a country other than Denmark or the UK regarding your marital status, then you will need to seek this information of your own accord. You may be asked to provide such documentation as well as something referring to your UK marital status. In this case a no trace letter will suffice.

If you are unable to provide documentation from a country other than Denmark or UK, then we advise you to communicate this to the Danish authority dealing with your marriage.

Register a birth or death

Find out how to register a birth or register a death that occurred in Denmark. You can’t register a birth or death at the embassy or our consulates.

Bereavement support

If the death occurred in Denmark and you’re still in the country, contact us. If you’re in the UK and hear of the death of a relative from a third party, you should contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office on 020 7008 1500.

Read our guidance on coping with death abroad, as well as our bereavement guide for Denmark.

Support if you’ve been arrested

We’ll do all we can to contact you within 24 hours of being told that you’ve been detained or arrested, and will give you a prisoner pack with information for British prisoners in Denmark. We cannot get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings.

Notarial and documentary services

We may be able to offer notarial services, including Administer an oath, affirmation or affidavit and Make a certified copy of a British passport. See the full list of notarial and documentary services we provide.

Legalisation services

The British Embassy in Copenhagen does not provide legalisation services. Read our general guidance leaflet for more information on legalisation.

Ask the UK government to get a UK document legalised(certified as genuine).

Local service providers

Use our lists of local suppliers and services if you need help in Denmark. Please note that inclusion in these lists does not constitute official endorsement by the British embassy or the UK government.

How else we can help

In addition to the services listed above we can also:

  • provide information about transferring funds
  • provide appropriate help if you have suffered rape or serious assault, are a victim of other crime, or are in hospital
  • help people with mental illness
  • offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions, missing peopleand kidnapping
  • contact family or friends for you if you want
  • make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters or other crises abroad

For more information on the services we can provide, see Support for British nationals abroad: A guide.

General information on living in Denmark

What the embassy cannot do for you

Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:

  • help you enter a country, for example, if you don’t have a visa or your passport is not valid
  • give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers.
  • get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people
  • pay any bills or give you money (in very exceptional circumstances we may lend you some money from public funds, which you’ll have to pay back)
  • make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation
  • make business arrangements on your behalf.

Consular fees

We charge fees for some of our services. See the full list of consular fees in Denmark.

Our people

Dominic  Schroeder

Dominic Schroeder

British Ambassador to Denmark

Contact us

British Embassy Copenhagen

Kastelsvej 36-40
DK-2100 Copenhagen

Access and opening times