We develop and sustain the important and longstanding bilateral relationship between the UK and Hong Kong.

We deal with a wide range of political, commercial and economic questions of interest to the UK and Hong Kong.

We are here to support and protect UK interests in Hong Kong and Macao. The Consulate-General, one of the UK’s largest, was officially opened on 1 July 1997, following the handover of Hong Kong to the People’s Republic of China.

Our services

Urgent assistance

If you’re in Hong Kong or Macao and you urgently need help (eg if you’ve been attacked, arrested or lost your passport), call +852 2901 3000. If you’re in the UK and concerned about a British national in Hong Kong or Macao, call 020 7008 1500.

UK Government services in Hong Kong and Macao

See our information about accessing UK Government services in Hong Kong and Macao.

Get an emergency travel document

You can apply for an emergency travel document if you’re abroad and your passport has been lost or stolen, damaged or expired, and you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel.

If you are due to travel in the next 24 hours, contact us

An emergency travel document does not guarantee entry to every country. Read what an emergency travel document does.

Note: if you do not have a recent passport quality photo, we have a passport photo machine in the British Consulate-General’s consular section.

Please note we will only accept applications if you are travelling within seven days from the date of your appointment and we will normally only issue an emergency travel document one day before travel unless a visa is required for the destination you are travelling to.

Apply online for an emergency travel document if you:

  • are over 16 years old and
  • are a British citizen and
  • have previously owned a British passport

Contact us to apply for an emergency travel document if you are:

  • over 16 years old but have not owned a British passport before or
  • not a British citizen or
  • applying for a child under 16 years old

Once you have contacted us, you will be advised to make an appointment to apply for an emergency travel document at the British Consulate-General Hong Kong.

Travel advice: for information and advice on travelling to Hong Kong, see travel advice for Hong Kong

Information for UK ciitzens planning to have a child in Hong Kong

See our guidance for UK citizens planning to have a child in Hong Kong, but live elsewhere.

Passport renewal

For information on how to apply for your first passport or renew an existing passport, please visit the overseas passport section of this website.

Please note that we cannot deal with individual enquiries about passport applications.


For information on whether you require a visa for the United Kingdom and how to apply go to the UK Visas and Immigration website.

Home Office Registrations

See Home Office Registrations for information on the main requirements for registering as a British citizen under the British Nationality (Hong Kong) Act 1997, and Section 4B British Nationality Act 1981.

Notarial and documentary services

Information on the notarial and documentary services provided by the Consulate-General and our current consular fees.

Births, deaths and marriages

The British Consulate-General Hong Kong no longer accepts applications to register births or deaths which occurred overseas. This service has now transferred to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in the UK.

There are no changes to the entitlement to register a birth or death. The processing time will remain the same. However, you will now need to allow extra time for the documents to be sent to and from the UK. See register a birth abroad or register a death for further information.

See getting married abroad for information on legal documents for couples marrying or entering into civil partnerships abroad.

Bereavement support

If you’re still in Hong Kong or Macao where the death occurred contact us. If you’re in the UK and hear of the death of a relative from a third party, you should contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office on 020 7008 1500.

Read our guidance on coping with death abroad as well as our bereavement guide in Hong Kong and Macao.

Guides we produce

Our prisoner pack aims to explain the legal and prison system to British nationals who are imprisoned in Hong Kong. You can also read about how to apply for a transfer back to a UK prison.

Our list of English speaking lawyers has been prepared for the convenience of British nationals who require legal advice. Please note that inclusion in this list does not constitute official endorsement by the Consulate-General or UK government.

Our list of medical facilities provides information on public and private hospitals and medical centres in Hong Kong. Please note that inclusion on the list does not constitute official endorsement by the Consulate-General or the UK government.

Our list of international funeral directors provides information on companies which handle either the repatriation of remains overseas or can arrange for local burial/cremation. Please note that inclusion in this list does not constitute official endorsement by the Consulate-General or the UK government.

Our list of translation / interpretation companies may be able to help you with official translations / interpretations in Hong Kong. Please note that inclusion in this list does not constitute official endorsement by the Consulate-General or the UK government.

Living in Hong Kong provides information for those planning on coming to live, or currently living in Hong Kong

Consular fees detail charges for some services we provide at the Consulate-General.

How else we can help

In addition to the services listed above we can also:

  • provide information about transferring funds
  • provide appropriate help if you have suffered rape or serious assault, are a victim of other crime, or are in hospital
  • help people with mental illness
  • offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions, missing people and kidnapping
  • contact family or friends for you if you want
  • make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters or other crises abroad

For more information on the services we can provide, see Support for British nationals abroad: A guide.

UK law says we have to charge for some services. Details of our consular fees and the standards of service you can expect to receive are on display in all our consular offices.

What the Consulate-General cannot do for you

Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:

  • get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings

  • help you enter a country, for example, if you do not have a visa or your passport is not valid, as we cannot interfere in another country’s immigration policy or procedures

  • give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers

  • get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people

  • pay any bills or give you money (in very exceptional circumstances we may lend you some money from public funds, which you will have to pay back)

  • make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation

  • make business arrangements on your behalf

Our people

Andrew Heyn OBE

Andrew Heyn OBE

Consul General to Hong Kong & Macao

Contact us

British Consulate-General Hong Kong

1 Supreme Court Road

Hong Kong
Hong Kong

Opening hours:
Monday to Friday 8:30am to 5:15pm

Access and opening times

Consular section

Opening hours:
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, 9:00am to 2:00pm for personal callers;
Monday to Thursday, 9:00am to 4:30pm and Friday, 9:00am to 4:15pm for telephone enquiries.

The consular section is closed to personal callers every Wednesday from 4 November 2015. Find out why we have made this change at https://www.gov.uk/government/world-location-news/changing-how-we-deliver-consular-services-in-hong-kong.

Access and opening times