When mobile services must register as children's homes

This document clarifies when mobile services must register as children’s homes.


Guidance for mobile services

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


This guidance is under review. If you have any questions about registering mobile services then please contact us at

Mobile services are services whose statement of purpose sets out a model of care which operate flexibly across two or more locations. Some provide care and accommodation in premises which can be moved, such as a barge or a caravan. Others use a range of different types of accommodation such as tents, mobile homes, and holiday cottages.