RLE1 form and guidance
Use the RLE1 form to make changes to your digital maps, register new land and transfer entitlements by sub-lease or inheritance.
Notifications on the Rural Payments service
RPA will send you a notification on the Rural Payments service when:
- a land transfer request is completed
- an entitlement transfer request is completed
- RPA has made updates to digital maps that you didn’t tell them about
Land and entitlement transfer notifications will be visible to both the transferor and the transferee’s businesses for anyone who has the appropriate permission.
RPA will not send notifications to confirm mapping changes that you have told them about or that have been made following an inspection.
Digital land maps
RPA checks and updates their digital land maps throughout the year using the latest available data sources, including farm inspections, aerial photography and Ordnance Survey map updates, as well as information received from customers.
It is your responsibility to make sure that you only include land that is eligible for the rural payment scheme(s) you are claiming, to check your maps throughout the year, and tell RPA of any changes to your land.
To see your individual land parcels, go to: www.ruralpayments.service.gov.uk/. From the ‘Business overview’ screen, click ‘Land’ then ‘View land’.
Mapping updates published from August 2017
The European Commission requires every country operating Common Agricultural Policy schemes to proactively check land parcels against the last information available. This means that RPA are required to make sure that all land data on their systems is no more than 3 years old by 31 October 2017.
RPA has started to publish updates to their land parcel data on their systems using information received from the latest land imagery such as aerial photography and OS map updates. You’ll be able to see these updates on the Rural Payments service.
From August, RPA will also send notifications through the Rural Payments service to let you know when these mapping updates have been published. It’s important that if you receive a notification you check your land details on the Rural Payments service.
What updates you can expect to see
Some of the updates may seem small and RPA appreciates that you may find this inconvenient. Updates such as boundary or area changes, land cover changes or parcels being split or merged can be important and can affect your agreements and/or payments.
In some cases, RPA may have to temporarily remove a feature to apply the update. In these cases, a feature may disappear from the ‘View land’ screen temporarily, but it will reappear. RPA will send you a notification once the update has been completed in full.
For more information about scheme rules or how the changes might affect Natural England schemes or Forestry Commission legacy schemes read the following pages on GOV.UK:
- Basic Payment Scheme (BPS) 2017
- Countryside Stewardship or Environmental Stewardship
- Forestry Commission legacy schemes
What to do if you do not agree with the updates
If you have evidence to support why you do not agree with the updates, and you believe they will have a significant effect on your rural payments schemes’ payments or agreements, please read the RLE1 guidance and fill in the RLE1 form at the top of this page and a sketch map(s) and send them to RPA:
- write on the RLE1 and the sketch map ‘Unrequested change query’ and mark the changes you would like to make.
- mark on the RLE1 and sketch map what scheme this update relates to, such as the Basic Payment Scheme, a Countryside Stewardship application for a 2018 agreement, an Environmental Stewardship Agreement.
- add the land parcel you are querying on the RLE1 form and the date when the change was made on the ground. RPA will review every ‘Unrequested change query’ RLE1 that is received.
RPA will focus on making payments, so may need additional time to review your RLE1 request. RPA are currently considering the options for the most effective way to notify you of any decision they make.
If you’ve already sent RPA an RLE1 requesting land parcel changes that are dated after the RPA updates, it will be reviewed against other available information. The updates you requested will be made if appropriate.
Published: 23 March 2015
Updated: 14 August 2017
- New text added about mapping updates to digital land maps.
- Updates to Digital mapping information and new section published called Mapping updates published from July 2017.
- RLE1 guidance updated for the BPS 2017 scheme year.
- Updated to explain that transfers will now be confirmed online.
- Version 2.0 Updated 31 March 2016
- Updated to add the 2016 versions of the RLE1 form and guidance
- New information about how to transfer land and entitlements online.
- Updated to include details about RLE1s for Countryside Stewardship
- Updated with deadline extension for telling RPA about features or areas which are permanently ineligible for the Basic Payment Scheme.
- Published new versions of the RLE1 form and guidance for the 2015 year.
- First published.