Tax credits: tell HMRC if you can't repay a tax credit overpayment (TC1133)

Use the online form if you’ve been overpaid tax credits and want to reduce how much you’re paying back through your tax credits payments.


Tell HMRC online


Use the online form service to tell HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) if:

  • you’re receiving tax credits
  • you’ve been asked to repay an overpayment of tax credits
  • repaying it will make it difficult for you to pay your essential living expenses (for example, utility bills or rent)

It will take you longer to pay off the overpayment if HMRC agrees to reduce the amount you repay every month.

You’ll need to sign in to, or set up a Government Gateway account to complete the form and give the following information for you and your partner (if you have one):

  • details of all your household costs and expenses
  • a reason that the repayment will cause you financial hardship
  • details of your income from all sources including:
    • employment
    • self-employment
    • benefits
    • pensions

After you’ve submitted your application you’ll get a reference number that you can use to track the progress of your form.

What to do if you’re no longer receiving tax credits

Phone the Tax Credits Payments Helpline if you’re no longer receiving tax credits and want to reduce the amount of your tax credits overpayment due to financial hardship.

Have your tax credit reference number with you when you call.

Tax credits overpayments
Guidance if you’ve been overpaid tax credits, including repayment methods and the payment helpline.

Tax credits: what happens if you’ve been paid too much (COP26)
This leaflet explains why overpayments happen and how to pay them back. It also tells you when you don’t have to pay them back and how to dispute an overpayment.

Published 15 December 2016