Tax credits and Child Benefit – form

Tax credits: overpayment (TC846)

Use form TC846 if the Tax Credit Office has paid you too much tax credits and you think you shouldn't have to pay it back.


Tax credits: overpayment (TC846)


If you have received too much tax credits and think you shouldn’t have to pay it back, use form TC846 to let the Tax Credit Office know.

You must be able to show that the Tax Credit Office made a mistake, or gave you incorrect advice, and it was reasonable for you to think your payments were right.

Before you start

If you are using an older browser, eg Internet Explorer 8, you’ll need to update it or use a different browser. Find out more about browsers.

You’ll need to fill in the form fully before you can print it. You can’t save a partly completed form so we suggest you gather all your information together before you begin to fill it in.

Tax credits overpayments
How overpayments of tax credits can happen, repaying overpayments and disputes.