Prepare to drive in the EU after Brexit

What private and commercial drivers from the UK may need to do to drive abroad when the UK leaves the EU on 29 March 2019.



From 28 March 2019, drivers from the UK will need extra documentation to drive in the EU and EEA.

This includes registering certain trailers with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) and carrying a trailer registration certificate.

In the event that the UK leaves the EU without a deal, UK drivers may also need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in the EU and EEA.

See also

This guidance expands on the driving, road haulage and coach services technical notices published in September 2018.

Published 25 October 2018
Last updated 14 January 2019 + show all updates
  1. Updates on driving licence exchange and Driver CPC for UK nationals living or driving for work in the EU.
  2. First published.