Driving abroad

If you’re driving in most European countries

All UK vehicle insurance provides the minimum third party cover to drive in:

  • the EU (including Ireland)
  • Andorra
  • Iceland
  • Liechtenstein
  • Norway
  • Serbia
  • Switzerland

Check with your insurer if your policy has extra cover for things like theft or damage to your car abroad.

You also need to carry a physical copy of a ‘green card’ to drive your vehicle in these countries.

If you’re driving in the rest of the world

You may need to carry a green card to prove you have the minimum insurance cover required by the country you’re driving in.

You may also need additional insurance for your vehicle, trailer or caravan. Check the travel advice for the country you’re going to.

Getting a green card from your insurer

A green card is proof that you have vehicle insurance when driving abroad.

Contact your insurer to get one for your vehicle. They’ll either:

  • post you a green card - allow up to 6 weeks
  • tell you how to download a green card to print yourself

You will need to carry extra green cards if:

  • you’re towing a trailer or caravan (one for the towing vehicle and one for the trailer or caravan)
  • you have 2 insurance policies covering your trip (one card for each policy)
  • you have multi-car or fleet insurance (one for each vehicle on the policy)

Showing your green card when driving abroad

You must show your green card if you’re involved in an accident.

You may have to show your green card:

  • at the border when moving between countries
  • if you’re stopped by the police