Uninsured vehicles

You must have motor insurance for your vehicle if you use it on roads and in public places.

You do not need to insure your vehicle if it is kept off the road and declared as off the road (SORN). This rule is called ‘continuous insurance enforcement’.

You can check if your vehicle is insured on askMID.

There are different rules for vehicle insurance in Northern Ireland.


If you’re the registered keeper of an uninsured vehicle that’s not been declared as off the road, you could:

  • be fined £100
  • have your vehicle wheel-clamped, impounded or destroyed
  • be taken to court where you could get a maximum fine of £1,000

You will also still have to pay for your insurance on top of any fines received.

Motor traders - exceptions

If a vehicle is between registered keepers or registered as ‘in trade’ with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), it is excluded from continuous insurance enforcement.

Vehicles you keep for your own use are not excluded.