Projects granted during 2015 that have a primary purpose of translational and applied research: animal diseases, disorders and animal welfare.
PDF, 548KB, 77 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
This document outlines the projects granted under the Animals (Scientific Procedures) Act 1986 during 2015 with a primary purpose of translational and applied research: animal diseases, disorders and animal welfare.
The following projects were granted:
- investigating cartilage disease and repair in sheep (cartilage, defect, repair, stem cell)
- the behavioural and nutritional control disease (behaviour, disease, livestock, nutrition)
- evaluation of avian myxoviruses and mammalian influenza virus infections (avian myxoviruses, mammalian Influenza disease)
- studies of porcine epidemic diarrhoea virus (PED virus, porcine diarrhoea)
- provision of biological materials
- improving understanding of lameness in sheep (footrot, sheep, persistence, environment)
- producing antibodies for tests to diagnose animal diseases (antibodies, test(s), diagnosis, animal diseases)
- gene therapy for canine diabetes (dog, diabetes, gene, therapy)
- enteric pathogens of poultry (gut health; broilers)
- assessing new livestock viruses in UK breeds (new virus livestock UK)
- the faecal microbiome of obese and geriatric ponies (equine obesity, gastrointestinal microbiome, weight loss, equine nutrition)
- parental effects on offspring health and fitness (maternal, parasites, disease, immunity)
- is Schmallenberg virus still circulating in the south of England (sheep, schmallenberg , transmission)
- genotype, health and fertility in dairy cows (phenotype, SNP, immunology, disease, milk)
- immunobiology of fertility in mares (reproductive biology, pregnancy, placenta, immunosuppression)
- feed conversion efficiency in cattle and sheep (feed efficiency; cattle; sheep; methane; animal behaviour)
- development of a novel vaccine vector in cattle (cattle, vaccine delivery system)
- detection and control of fluke in ruminants (fluke, diagnosis, vaccination, treatment, challenge)
- rabbit vaccine development (rabbits, myxomatosis, haemorrhagic disease, vaccine)
- unravelling the aetiology of contagious ovine digital dermatitis (sheep, lameness, contagious ovine digital dermatitis)
- PPRV pathogenesis and immune response to PPR vaccines (sheep, goats, vaccines, disease, protection)
- translation of bovine tuberculosis biomarkers to the point of care setting (bovine tuberculosis, diagnostic test)
- refinement of anaesthetic protocols for research animals (anaesthesia, refinement)
- smart tagging of fish to determine fish behaviour, biometrics, biomass and escapes using sonar (tagging, biomass, salmon, salmo salar, sonar)
- quantification of pain associated with pneumonia in calves (pneumonia, pain, welfare, calf)
- ruminant welfare studies (welfare, ruminant, stress, behaviour, pain)
- novel acaricidal options for control of sheep scab disease (sheep scab mite disease acaricide)