How spouses and civil partners of armed forces personnel posted overseas can fill gaps in their National Insurance record.
Read this guidance to find out how to get Class 3 National Insurance credits if:
- you are or were married to or the civil partner of a member of the armed forces
- you went with them on an overseas posting after 6 April 1975
- you reach State Pension age on or after 6 April 2016
Class 3 National Insurance credits can help to fill gaps in your National Insurance record and count towards your State Pension.
How to apply
Published: 6 April 2016
Updated: 16 September 2016
- HTML and PDF guidance revised to: clarify that individuals are entitled to National Insurance credits even if they do not have any gaps in their National Insurance contributions; state that an individual's State Pension may not be affected if they claim National Insurance credits without a gap in their National Insurance contributions; and encourage individuals to check whether there is a gap in their National Insurance contributions for the period(s) spent abroad before applying for National Insurance credits.
- Clarified these credits are for people whose State Pension age is on or after 6 April 2016.
- First published.