Guidance for NHS bodies who need to make and recover hospital charges from overseas visitors.
PDF, 1.15MB, 117 pages
PDF, 271KB, 12 pages
PDF, 223KB, 34 pages
PDF, 98.8KB, 7 pages
PDF, 269KB, 8 pages
PDF, 145KB, 7 pages
This guidance is for NHS bodies who need to charge overseas visitors for NHS hospital treatment, under the NHS (Charges to Overseas Visitors) Regulations 2017.
The guidance should be used alongside the regulations and any additional legal advice.
We have also provided template letters, guidance and posters to help the NHS recover the costs of health care from visitors and migrants.
- SI 2017/756 - The National Health Service (Charges to Overseas Visitors) (Amendment) Regulations 2017 * SI 2015/2025 - The National Health Services (Charges to Overseas Visitors) (Amendment) Regulations 2015 * SI 2015/238 - The National Health Services (Charges to Overseas Visitors) Regulations 2015
Published: 1 October 2012
Updated: 25 October 2017
- Updated 'Guidance on implementing the overseas visitor charging regulations' because the regulations now apply to non-NHS providers; and because upfront charging for non-urgent treatment is now mandatory.
- Added 'Upfront charging operational framework' document.
- Revised guidance incorporating changes to regulations taking effect from 21 August and 23 October 2017.
- Guidance published for providers of NHS secondary care on amendments to the Charging Regulations that come into force on 21 August 2017 and 23 October 2017.
- Changes to health surcharge from 6 April 2016 added.
- Updated 'Overseas chargeable patients, NHS debt and immigration rules: guidance on administration and data sharing'
- 'United Kingdom permanent residence entitlement' document removed as it was superseded by 'Ways in which people can be lawfully resident in the UK'.
- Guidance updated to take account of changes to The National Health Services (Charges to Overseas Visitors) (Amendment) Regulations 2015.
- Ordinary residence tool for overseas visitor managers added.
- Updated to provide guidance on the implementation of the National Health Service (Charges to Overseas Visitors) Regulations 2015
- Updated appendices 1 to 8 of the guidance on overseas visitors hospital charging regulations and amended chapter 5.
- Guidance and appendices updated for EU case law developments.
- First published.