Form Comp 1: Apply to wind up a company that owes you money

Use this form to apply to the court to close or wind up a company if it can't pay its debts. This is also known as 'compulsory liquidation'.


Winding-up petition

Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


Use this form (a ‘winding-up’ petition) to apply to the court to liquidate a company if it owes you money and can’t pay its debts.

You will also need to complete Form Comp 2: Confirm details of a ‘winding up’ petition confirming the details of your petition.

Find out more about asking a court to wind up a company that owes you money.

Check court and tribunal fees and find out if you can get help with fees.

Find more court and tribunal forms by category.

Find out how HM Courts and Tribunals Service uses personal information you give when you fill in a form.

Published 1 November 2017
Last updated 8 December 2021 + show all updates
  1. Form Updated

  2. Form updated.

  3. Changes made to the form in line with Schedule 10 to the Corporate Insolvency and Governance Act 2020.

  4. First published.