Air accident monthly bulletin January 2017
The monthly bulletin is a compilation of AAIB reports and is published on the second Thursday of the month.
PDF, 9.44MB, 100 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
January Bulletin 1/2017
AAIB Field Investigations
A field investigation is an independent investigation in which AAIB investigators collect, record and analyse evidence.
The process may include, attending the scene of the accident or serious incident; interviewing witnesses; reviewing documents, procedures and practices; examining aircraft wreckage or components; and analysing recorded data.
The investigation, which can take a number of months to complete, will conclude with a published report.
Commercial Air Transport - Fixed wing
- Airbus A319-111 (G-EZFJ), incorrect takeoff performance calculation, Malaga Airport, Spain, 14 April 2016
- Saab 2000 (G-LGNR), reduction in aircraft controllability, near Manchester, 6 November 2015
General Aviation - Fixed wing
- Piper PA-28-161 (G-CDER), aircraft ditched after reporting engine problems, English Channel, 1.2 nm from Winchelsea Beach, East Sussex, 6 August 2016
Sport Aviation / Balloons
- Ikarus C42 FB80 (G-OJDS), crashed into the sea, near Cushendun, Northern Ireland, 9 June 2016
- Pegasus Quantum 15, (G-MZCR), crashed during go-around, East Haxted Farm, 16 July 2016
AAIB Correspondence Investigations
These are reports on accidents and incidents which were not subject to a Field Investigation.
They are wholly, or largely, based on information provided by the aircraft commander in an Aircraft Accident Report Form (AARF) and in some cases additional information from other sources.
The accuracy of the information provided cannot be assured.
Commercial Air Transport
- Airbus A319-111 (G-EZFP), incorrect takeoff performance calculation, Lille Airport, France, 9 May 2016
- Cessna 750 (G-CEDK), emergency evacuation due to smoke on the flight deck, Inverness Airport, Scotland, 12 August 2016
- Albatros DV.a (ZK-TGY), aircraft clipped a hedge during a forced landing after the engine stopped, Pimphurst Farm, Bethersden, Kent, 15 September 2016
- B55 Baron (SE-EXW), precautionary landing after reporting a rudder restriction in flight, Abbotsley (Rectory Farm) Airfield, Cambridgeshire, 29 August 2016
- DHC-1 Chipmunk 22 (G-BXCP), struck hangar after loss of directional control on landing, Bagby Airfield, Yorkshire, 22 September 2016
- Diamond DA42 (G-CTCB), left main landing gear partially collapsed after landing, Bournemouth Airport, Dorset, 28 April 2016
- Evans VP-1 Series 2 (G-TGJH), runway excursion during takeoff, Ewesley Farm, Northumberland, 27 August 2016
- Grob G115E (G-BYVE), propeller blade anti-erosion strip detached, RAF Wittering, Cambridgeshire, 24 August 2016
- Klemm Kl35D (HB-UBK), stalled into ground during forced landing following engine failure, Earls Lane, South Mimms, Hertfordshire, 6 July 2016
- Piper PA-28-180 (G-AZDX), power loss on takeoff, Brickwall Farm, Hundon, Suffolk, 26 August 2016
- Pitts S-2A (G-BTUL), ground loop on landing, Sleap Airfield, Shropshire, 7 May 2016
- Reims Cessna F182P (G-DATG), runway overrun on landing, near Westcott, Buckinghamshire, 10 July 2016
- Robinson R44 (G-RFUN), helicopter landed heavily and rolled onto its side, near Crowden, Glossop, Derbyshire, 5 August 2016
- Robinson R44 II (G-SAIG) and Spitfire IXT (G-CCCA), contact between aircraft on the active runway, Lashenden (Headcorn) Aerodrome, Kent, 15 June 2016
- Socata TB9 (G-BTWX), stalled after takeoff, Jericho Farm, Lambley, Nottinghamshire, 24 March 2016
- Tecnam P2002-JF (G-TECI), loss of control on takeoff, Haverfordwest Airfield, Pembrokeshire, 15 September 2016
Sport Aviation / Balloons
- Fournier RF5 (G-AZPF), stalled at a height of 5 to 10 feet while landing, Manchester Barton Aerodrome, 2 October 2016
- Ikarus C42 FB80 (G-SARM), landing mishap, Redlands Airfield, Wiltshire, 22 July 2016
- Mainair Blade 912 (G-BYHS), right undercarriage collapsed, Shobdon Airfield, Herefordshire, 21 October 2016
- Zenair CH 601UL (G-CBUR), loss of control during takeoff, Headon Microlight Strip, near Gamston, Nottinghamshire, 22 July 2016
This section contains Addenda, Corrections and a list of the ten most recent Air Accident reports published by the AAIB.