A coastal concordat for England
- Department for Communities and Local Government, Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs, Department for Transport, Marine Management Organisation, Environment Agency, and Natural England
- Part of:
- Marine environment
- 11 November 2013
- Last updated:
- 1 October 2014, see all updates
Setting out how regulatory bodies can co-ordinate the separate processes for coastal development consents in England.
Ref: PB14060 PDF, 91.7KB, 11 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email email@example.com. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
Ref: PB14072 PDF, 92.3KB
The concordat provides a framework to better co-ordinate the separate processes of consenting coastal developments in England. It offers benefits to applicants, regulators and advisors by reducing unnecessary regulatory duplication, providing better sign-posting, streamlining assessments and increasing transparency and consistency of advice.
The concordat approach can be applied to any applications for individual projects, if they:
- span the intertidal area in estuaries and on the coast and
- require multiple consents including both a marine licence and a planning permission from the local planning authority.
It will not apply to projects that:
- are solely terrestrial
- already have co-ordination mechanisms in place e.g. National Significant Infrastructure projects
The concordat will help local authorities as regulators, to work more effectively with other regulators and advisors involved in coastal development. Implementation of the concordat should generate long-term efficiency savings for regulators, advisors and applicants alike as a result of improved.
How to sign up
If you are interested and wish to find out more, contact Defra at Marine Programme Support Office (MSE) on MarineProgrammeSupportOffice@defra.gsi.gov.uk
The concordat is being implemented where local authorities have agreed to adopt and implement the principles. In areas where the local authority has not yet signed up, the signatories will look to implement the principles in partnership as far as possible, as part of current joint working arrangements.
Published: 11 November 2013
Updated: 1 October 2014
- List of adopters and implementation plan updated (October 2014).
- Updated list of early adopters of the coastal concordat
- The list of local authorities who have expressed an interest to be ‘early adopters’ of the coastal concordat has been updated.
- Added the implementation update document.
- Added list of interested early adopters for the coastal concordat
- First published.