Who we are
We were established by an Act of Parliament in 2006. Our purpose is to help conserve, enhance and manage the natural environment for the benefit of present and future generations, thereby contributing to sustainable development.
We have 2,000 staff in offices throughout England, with a head office in York. See a map of our offices.
Our vision and mission
Our vision is ‘Thriving Nature for people and planet’.
We aim to achieve this through our mission ‘Building partnerships for Nature’s recovery’.
Our priorities for 2020 to 2025 support our mission and the ambitions of the government’s 25 Year Environment Plan. We aim for:
- a well-managed Nature Recovery Network across land, water and sea, which creates and protects resilient ecosystems rich in wildlife and natural beauty, enjoyed by people and widely benefiting society
- people connected to the natural environment for their own and society’s wellbeing, enjoyment and prosperity
- Nature-based solutions contributing fully to tackling the climate change challenge and wider environmental hazards and threats
- improvements in the natural capital that drives sustainable economic growth, healthy food systems and prospering communities
- evidence and expertise being used by a broad range of partnerships, organisations and communities to achieve Nature recovery and enable effective regulation and accreditation
- being a values-led organisation that delivers excellent service standards to all partners, organisations and communities engaged in achieving Nature’s recovery
For more details about: