Complaints procedure

How to make a complaint about Natural England’s services.

Natural England aims to provide an excellent and consistent service to all our customers through our customer promise. If you’re not satisfied with any aspect of our service, let us know so we can resolve the matter as quickly as possible.

The complaints procedure is set out in 3 stages below, we prefer to speak to you in person, so please provide your daytime telephone number.

How to complain

You can complain directly to the person you have been dealing with or their line manager. Complaints are often sorted out immediately this way.

If you do not know who to contact or you have a name but no telephone number, call our enquiries team on 0300 060 3900.

You can also use our online complaints form.

We will record your complaint and ensure it’s dealt with by the most appropriate team or person.

If you’re unhappy with the response you receive at this stage, you can escalate your complaint to the relevant area or team manager.

If your complaint is about a Countryside Stewardship or Environmental Stewardship payment, please contact the Rural Payments Agency (RPA).

What happens next

We will investigate your complaint. If we’re at fault, we will try to put things right. If not, we will give you a full explanation. If you escalate to an area or team manager, we will:

  • acknowledge we’ve received your complaint within 2 working days and say who is dealing with it
  • call you to discuss your complaint within 5 working days of the acknowledgement

We’ll work to deal with your complaint as quickly as possible. If it’s going to take longer, we’ll let you know.

If you’re not satisfied

Natural England will appoint a director to examine your complaint on behalf of our chief executive and contact you to discuss the issue. The response at this stage will be our final response.

If you feel Natural England has not resolved the issue you can refer your complaint to:

Exception to this process

If your complaint relates to an access to information request, please contact the individual named in the original response you received or email