What we do
We provide civil and criminal legal aid and advice in England and Wales. Each year we help more than 2 million people to deal with their legal problems.
Who we are
We have a team of around 1,450 staff and offices in towns and cities across England and Wales. Our head office is in London.
We are responsible for:
- making sure legal aid services from solicitors, barristers and the not-for-profit sector are available to the general public
- funding the Civil Legal Advice service
- publishing evidence about the decisions we make on whether or not to fund a case
- running the Public Defender Service to give a range of services within the criminal defence market
Our priorities are to:
- improve legal aid casework, for example by speeding up payments and eligibility assessments
- grow the capability of the Legal Aid Agency by investing in staff development and improving our working environment
- work with our partners to deliver changes to legal aid, including informing policy development and increasing online working
Access our information
Jobs and contracts