The main decision-making board and audit committee at the Legal Aid Agency (LAA).
The board is responsible for governance of the LAA. It provides support and advice to the chief executive, and makes decisions on business priorities.
The board members are:
- Matthew Coats, MoJ Chief Operating Officer (Chair)
- Shaun McNally, Chief Executive
- James McEwen, Director of Finance and Digital (LAA and Operations Group)
- Hugh Barrett, Director of Commissioning and Strategy
- Ruth Wayte, principal Legal Adviser
- John Grosvenor, Finance Non-Executive Board Member (who is also Chair of the Agency’s Audit Committee)
- Eric Gregory, commercial non-executive board member
- Andrew Lockley, legal non-executive board member
LAA Audit Committee
The audit committee supports the board and the chief executive. They make decisions on internal and external audits, corporate governance, anti-fraud policies, internal control and risk management, and the agency’s annual accounts.
Its members are the LAA’s 3 non-executive board members. Regular attendees also include an internal audit representative, National Audit Office representatives, as well as the LAA’s chief executive, finance and performance director and head of internal audit.
LAA framework document
Arrangements for the governance, accountability, financing, staffing and operation of the Legal Aid Agency are set out in the LAA framework document.