Personal information charter

Our personal information charter and how to request a copy of your personal data.

Our obligations under data protection laws

The processing of personal data is controlled by data protection laws including the General Data Protection Regulation and the Data Protection Act 2018.

Personal data is data that relates to a living individual who can be identified from the data. It is necessary that we handle personal data so that we can provide services for you. You can find more details of our obligations under the data protection laws in our LAA Information Charter (PDF, 168KB, 7 pages).

How to request a copy of your personal data

The data protection laws allow you to find out what information we hold about you on computer and in some paper records. This is known as the ‘right of subject access’, and a request for a copy of your personal information is called a ‘subject access request’, or SAR.

If we do hold information about you we will:

  • give you a description of it
  • tell you why we have it
  • tell you who it could be given to
  • let you have a copy of the information in a readable form

So we can answer your subject access request you must send us two things:

  1. A description of where your personal data may be held. You should ensure that you provide details of where in the department your personal data may be held to help us to trace your records. For example, a description of the legal aid that you received (crime or civil including the nature of the proceedings), the name and/or firm of your legal representative(s) or the name of the court which you attended. This should include any relevant case reference numbers and dates, if appropriate. You need to be as specific as possible.

  2. Valid identification.

Acceptable forms of ID include:

  • a photocopy of your passport or driving licence
  • an electricity bill (the original bill, not a copy)
  • a gas bill (the original bill, not a copy)
  • a council tax bill (the original bill, not a copy)
  • any other bill in your full name (the original bill, not a copy)

Any bill you send must be less than 6 months old.

We may charge you a fee to process your SAR if it is excessive.

How and where to send your request

Send your request by post to:

Disclosure Team
Post point 10.38
102 Petty France

or email:

Staff requests

If you are a member of LAA staff, please refer to the intranet for details of how to make a subject access request.