What we do
We are a Government agency that provides services to those affected by financial distress or failure.
Who we are
We are an executive agency of the Department for Business Innovation and Skills with headquarters in London. We have around 1,700 staff operating from 21 locations across Great Britain.
- administer bankruptcies and debt relief orders
- look into the affairs of companies in liquidation, making reports of any director misconduct
- investigate trading companies and take action to wind them up and/or disqualify the directors if there is evidence of misconduct
- act as trustee/liquidator where no private sector insolvency practitioner is in place
- issue redundancy payments from the National Insurance Fund
- work to disqualify unfit directors in all corporate failures
- deal with bankruptcy and debt relief restrictions orders and undertakings
- act as a impartial source of information for the public on insolvency and redundancy matters
- advise BIS ministers and other government departments and agencies on insolvency and redundancy related issues
Access our information
Jobs and contracts
Read about the types of information we routinely publish in our Publication scheme. Our Personal information charter explains how we treat your personal information. Read our policy on Social media use.