We are a Government agency that helps to deliver economic confidence by supporting those in financial distress, tackling financial wrongdoing and maximising returns to creditors.
Who we are
We are an executive agency of the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy with headquarters in London. We have around 1,700 staff operating from 22 locations across Great Britain.
- administer bankruptcies and debt relief orders
- look into the affairs of companies in liquidation, making reports of any director misconduct
- investigate trading companies and take action to wind them up and/or disqualify the directors if there is evidence of misconduct
- act as trustee/liquidator where no private sector insolvency practitioner is in place
- issue redundancy payments from the National Insurance Fund
- work to disqualify unfit directors in all corporate failures
- deal with bankruptcy and debt relief restrictions orders and undertakings
- act as a impartial source of information for the public on insolvency and redundancy matters
- advise BEIS ministers and other government departments and agencies on insolvency and redundancy related issues
- investigate and prosecute breaches of company and insolvency legislation and other criminal offences on behalf of BEIS
Access our information
- Media enquiries
- Complaints procedure
- Our governance
- Equality and diversity
- Corporate reports
- Transparency data
Jobs and contracts
Read about the types of information we routinely publish in our Publication scheme. Our Personal information charter explains how we treat your personal information. Read our policy on Social media use.