The Insolvency Service is committed to protecting your personal information and being transparent about what we hold. We collect personal information about the following:
- People connected to an insolvency case such as current and former directors, partners, members, creditors and employees; people who have applied for of been declared bankrupt or who have applied for or are subject to a Debt Relief Order (DRO) or who are connected to a bankruptcy or DRO such as creditors;
- People connected to one of our investigations, for example into live companies (ie a company that is not dissolved or in formal insolvency) (including people who complain to us about the conduct of a live company), Bankruptcy Restrictions Orders (BROs), Debt Relief Restrictions Orders or company director disqualifications;
- People subject to an Individual Voluntary Arrangement (IVA);
- People who use our Redundancy Payments Service;
- People connected to a criminal investigation carried out by our Criminal Enforcement Team;
- People with whom we have a business relationship such as subscribers to email alerts; suppliers, contractors and Insolvency Practitioners.
This page provides you with a general overview as to how we use your personal information. View our full
If you are a member of Insolvency Service staff, details of how we treat your personal information can be found on our intranet.
Information we collect
We process personal information necessary for the performance of tasks we carry out in our functions as an executive agency of the Department of Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy.
How we use your information
In general our Official Receivers, Adjudicator and other parts of the Insolvency Service will process your information to:
- fulfil our public function;
- regulate the insolvency profession as part of our statutory oversight;
- make payments to you and to support service delivery activities.
Your information may also be used for:
- updating the public register regarding bankruptcies, DROs and IVAs;
- sending you email alerts that you have subscribed to;
- research, statistical, and business planning purposes;
- recovering any costs awarded to us;
- developing, maintaining and testing our systems.
We will not hold your personal information for any longer than necessary. Read about our
Information we might give to others
Where necessary and if the law allows we may give information about you to third parties. You can find out who we may share your personal information with in our email@example.com.
. If you would like any more detailed information please contact
How to request information that we hold about you
The Insolvency Service will be as open as it can be in terms of giving you access to your personal information where this is allowed for in law. You can find out whether we hold any of your personal information by making a firstname.lastname@example.org. If we do hold information about you we will (subject to any legal exemptions that apply):
- Let you have a copy of it;
- Tell you why we are holding it;
- Tell you who it could be disclosed to;
- Tell you how long we envisage keeping it (if this is possible);
- Let you know what rights you have in respect of the personal data;
- If we haven’t collected the personal data from you, we will let you know the source.
Our Data Protection Officer
The contact details of our Data Protection Officer are:
Data Protection Officer
Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy
1 Victoria Street
Putting things right
was drafted with brevity and clarity in mind. It does not provide exhaustive detail of all aspects of our collection and use of personal information. However, we are happy to provide any additional information or explanation needed. Any requests for this should be sent to
If you want to make a complaint about the way we have processed your personal information, you can contact us at email@example.com.
You have a right to complain to the Information Commissioner if you are not satisfied with the way in which we have handled your personal information. The Information Commissioner’s contact details can be found here - https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/.