Employers: general enquiries


Tell HMRC if you've been payrolling benefits

Tell HMRC you do not owe Class 1A National Insurance contributions

Check if you can fix your problems with running payroll

If HMRC needs to contact you about anything confidential they’ll reply by phone or post.

For advice on PAYE and National Insurance payments to HMRC, including reallocations and information on payments already made, go to Employer PAYE and National Insurance: payments


Advisers can only talk to you about PAYE for employers. They will not be able to transfer you to another webchat team.

You’ll need your employer reference number or accounts office reference number.

Contact the Income Tax: general enquiries helpline for enquiries about your personal tax affairs.

Webchat is unavailable at the moment because of technical problems.


Call HMRC to get advice for employers on:

  • stakeholder pensions
  • Student Loan repayments
  • the Construction Industry Scheme
  • Apprenticeship Levy
  • PAYE in real time including:
    • Statutory Sick Pay
    • Maternity Pay
    • Paternity Pay
    • Additional Paternity Pay

You’ll need your employer reference number or accounts office reference number when you call.

0300 200 3200

Outside UK:
+44 151 268 0558

03000 523 030

Opening times:

Monday to Friday: 8am to 8pm
Saturday: 8am to 4pm

Closed Sundays, Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day.

You can use NGT text relay if you cannot hear or speak on the phone: dial 18001 then 0300 200 3100.

If you’re an employee looking for advice about your own tax affairs go to the Income Tax: general enquiries page.

Find out about call charges


Write to HMRC to get advice for employers.

You do not need to include a street name, city name or PO box when writing to this address.

PT Operations North East England
HM Revenue and Customs
United Kingdom