We are responsible for:
- giving scientific advice to the Prime Minister and members of the Cabinet, through a programme of projects that reflect the priorities of the Government Chief Scientific Adviser
- ensuring and improving the quality and use of scientific evidence and advice in government (through advice and projects and by creating and supporting connections between officials and the scientific community)
- providing the best scientific advice in the case of emergencies, through the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE)
- helping the independent Council for Science and Technology provide high level advice to the Prime Minister
Our priorities are:
- supporting national growth and increasing the UK’s productivity by linking science, innovation and industrial enterprise
- supporting regional growth by building on existing science and innovation activity across the country
- using technology to develop modern and cheaper public services
- preventing or addressing emergencies and mapping national security risks
For more information, see our work plan for 2015 to 2020.
Who we are
We are an organisation of up to 80 permanent staff and are located in London.