Our vision is to provide world-class education, training and care for everyone, whatever their background. It will make sure that everyone has the chance to reach their potential, and live a more fulfilled life. It will also create a more productive economy, so that our country is fit for the future.
We are responsible for:
- teaching and learning for children in the early years and in primary schools
- teaching and learning for young people in secondary schools
- teaching, learning and training for young people and adults in apprenticeships, traineeships and further education
- teaching and learning for young people and adults in higher education
- supporting professionals who work with children, young people and adult learners
- helping disadvantaged children and young people to achieve more
- making sure that local services protect and support children
We’ll develop world-class education with the following principles:
- ensure our academic standards match and keep pace with key comparator nations
- strive to bring our technical education standards in line with leading international systems
- ensure that education builds character, resilience and well-being
To be achieved through:
- always remembering that in education and care, by far the most important factor is the people delivering it – so we will strive to recruit, develop and retain the best
- prioritising in all that we do the people and places left behind and the most disadvantaged
- protecting the autonomy of institutions by intervening only where clear boundaries are crossed
- making every pound of our funding count
Read our single departmental plan to find out more about how we are performing against our objectives.
Who we are
We are a ministerial department supported by 19 agencies and public bodies and non-ministerial departments.
Our staff are based at our ministerial offices in London and in a number of other locations around England.
We work closely with:
- national and local agencies who look after children
- local authorities
- professionals who work in schools and further and higher education institutions, children’s services and health services